Happy Money® is building a happier and more equitable financial ecosystem that seamlessly blends psychology, technology, and a focus on happiness to help consumers go from borrower to saver, investor, and giver. The company provides a path toward improving financial well-being and securing greater happiness – beginning with paying off credit card debt – through its science-enabled, purpose-driven marketplace between mission-aligned capital and consumers.
Backed by leading investors including Anthemis Group, Tencent Holdings and CMFG Ventures, Happy Money has helped nearly 150,000 members pay off more than $2.7 billion in credit card debt since inception through its award-winning Payoff Loan™. Founded in 2009, Happy Money has a diverse employee base of over 350 people across the United States.
ABOUT THE ROLE
At Happy Money, we’re reinventing the way people manage their finances. We strive to help Americans find happiness through financial freedom – our mission is all about turning borrowers into savers. We are looking for leaders who want to make an impact while making a difference.
We are hiring for a Director of Operations to lead the underwriting department. This position reports directly to the VP of Operations and manages multiple teams (Verifications, Fraud, and Inbound call center). The ideal candidate is a strong people manager and analytical thinker – someone who wholeheartedly believes in ‘winning and learning’. We are looking for someone with experience in scaling and who is a consistent learner with a demonstrated growth mindset. You will inherit four to six direct reports who collectively manage more than 50 employees. Having prior experience with continuous process improvement and involvement with implementation of tech solutions is a plus.
This role will implement underwriting, fraud, and call center strategies, policies, and procedures to assist applicants who are starting a relationship with Happy Money. This is a people leader position that plays a critical role for Happy Money’s originations engine while ensuring the correct risk controls are in place. This role is also responsible for creating the strategy, and managing the approach to training and documentation within the department. This Director will collaborate with other Operation teams, Product, Risk, Compliance and Legal. This is a high visibility position with frequent communication with c-suite leaders as well as external stakeholders. Our ideal candidate is a strong people leader, customer-centric, and embodies the Happy Money values of Love, Trust, and Hustle.
In this Role, You Will
- Manage a team of managers for Verification and Fraud teams in addition to training and documentation teams by managing performance, behavior, goal setting through effective one-on-one meetings, coaching, and mentoring
- Make critical-business decisions: break down complex business programs and back up reasoning using advanced analysis and insightsIdentify opportunities to leverage product enhancements to create an optimal customer experience, strengthen operational controls, and ensure flawless execution against policy and procedures
- Builds strong relationships and collaborate effectively with product, engineering, and compliance teams to launch, improve and scale HM products, tools, and systems
- Provide thought leadership to front-line fraud managers and investigators to execute on near-term goals while moving towards a longer-term implementation of process efficiencies and quality control
- Understand our business and data, and work collaboratively with the Operations Business Intelligence and Analytics team to use data driven insights and have a fact-base for everything you do
- Run multiple work streams and projects with a fine eye for detail, quality, and deadlines
- Experience operating in a fast pace, rapid change environment where matrix reporting and reliance on others is the norm to get things done
- Strong presentation skills – both written and verbal; ability to create, present and persuade team, peers, and c-suite executives
- StrategicImplement underwriting, fraud, and call center strategies, policies, and procedures to assist applicants who are starting a relationship with Happy Money
- Creating the strategy, and managing the approach to training and documentation within the department.
- 5-10 years of demonstrated experience leading teams
- Strong communication skills and proven ability to influence using quantitative and qualitative reasoning
- Proven success in using data driven insights to build processes, devise strategy and implement changes in operations
- Deep understanding of support, support analytics, KPI’s, productivity and quality improvement levers
- Comfortable working with white space and ever changing requirements
- Passion for improving member outcomes and experiences
- Willing to roll up your sleeves and work alongside your team in the details but are able to maintain a strategic stronghold
- Experience working with third-party vendors to ensure accuracy and productivity in verifying member data e.g. Bank account information, credit report review, identity
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a quantitative field or relevant experience
BONUS POINTS FOR
- Experience in Financial Services or FinTech!
- Previous operations strategy or business strategy analysis experience
- Large scale strategist with experience in a rapid-growth environment