You’ll be responsible for the general infrastructure that underlies Gather’s services, from our game servers to our API servers. This encompasses the infrastructure-as-code, tools, configuration, automation, and scripts that build, deploy, and run our many services in cloud environments. In partnership with engineering leadership, you’ll implement security best-practices, guide long-term technology decisions, and build the future of Gather’s infrastructure.
Gather’s Tech Stack
Gather is simultaneously a modern web app, multiplayer video game, and live video conferencing platform. This means our infrastructure involves several main components, all built in-house:
- An HTTP service to serve the site and API
- A game service to handle real-time game state updates
- A video service to power live video chat
Gather’s Application is currently written in Typescript (frontend/backend). Prior Typescript knowledge is not a requirement for the Infrastructure team.
Focus areas that we could use a hand with
- Security – as Gather grows, we have ever more responsibility to ensure the safety of our systems and customer data. We need an infrastructure engineer who is security-minded. Champion the infosec cause, and build air-tight VPCs.
- Networking – we need a cutting-edge and rock-solid video network. Shave latency and thrill our users…with consistency.
- Canary Environments – we’re constantly deploying, and that requires great care. Build the mechanisms that let us detect problems before they become an incident.
- Multi-cloud Infrastructure – manage, troubleshoot, and deploy to multiple Kubernetes clusters. Spread them across multiple clouds and make sure they’re up through the worst datacenter outages.
What you bring:
- Software Engineering experience in Systems (OS, Distributed, Networking, etc.), Infrastructure, Security, DevOps, SRE, or related background.
- Deep knowledge of Kubernetes and the networking concepts that it relies upon. Deploying apps is just the beginning — you must be able to troubleshoot when they don’t.
- Have experience implementing secure by-default designs and features in cloud infrastructure endpoints, tooling, and processes.
- Experience implementing metrics and monitoring, sending data to one or more of Prometheus, New Relic, or Datadog.
- Programming experience with one or more of Golang, Python, or NodeJS, and the ability to write applications that communicate with APIs like Kubernetes and AWS.
- Linux operational expertise: know the ins and outs of Bash scripting and how to keep a system healthy.
- Experience writing and maintaining Terraform stacks.
- A love for learning and growing yourself and the team around you.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Excitement for a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Passion for Gather and our mission to build a metaverse for all.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience interpreting and implementing the requirements of a SOC2, GDPR, or ISO compliance program.
- 1+ years’ experience developing and implementing automation and security controls on AWS.
- You compile Linux kernels not because you have to, but because you want to.
- Understanding of the pros and cons of different release processes, and how to apply Git and other tools to achieve them.
US Salary Range
At Gather, compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location. The base salary range for this position in the selected city is $164,000 – $220,375 annually and we encourage candidates outside of this salary range to apply.