Who You’ll Work With
In this role you’ll report to the VP of Marketing. Day-to-day you’ll work closely with other PMMs, the marketing team, product managers, and the data and advocacy teams. As a member of a marketing organization you will help shape Buffer’s overall go to market strategy, user experience for www.buffer.com (website), email campaigns and marketing collateral.
- Drive market impact: Ensure cross-functional alignment and lead product and feature launches of Buffer’s essential tools for small businesses; create and drive comprehensive go-to-market plans for new features from audience definition, development of core value proposition, to launch and sustain through owned and in-product channels. Collaborate closely with product, design, engineering, data, and marketing and contribute to the ideation, research, discovery of new features and product improvements.
- Be the message owner: Develop compelling narratives and positioning for each stage of the self-serve customer journey that differentiates Buffer against our competitors and communicates value to our small business users.
- Become the Market Expert: Understand the ins and outs of the marketing tools SaaS landscape, conduct market analysis, be the company’s go-to expert, understand our competitors, and keep track of the evolving market landscape. Keep a strong pulse on the social media management landscape.
- Build Compelling Marketing Content: Be the product’s messaging guru and work across our team to help develop the website, blogs, podcasts, and other external-facing content to ensure the right messages are hitting the right audiences. Guide the marketing and growth teams on nurture campaigns to achieve activation and conversion metrics.
- Be the voice of the customer: Understand the needs, pains, and dreams of new users signing up for Buffer. Actively participate in discovery stages of product development work and contribute ideas and recommendations to the product roadmap. Keep your team focused and excited to solve customer problems by connecting the work they do to our customer’s success and our larger mission.
- 5+ years of product marketing or growth marketing experience, with experience marketing B2B SaaS products to small business and prosumers.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills: You love writing, have experience developing narratives and persuading people to try something new, and you care about producing content that will resonate with a broad global audience.
- Prior experience working at product-led growth organizations and/or freemium business models is a big plus.
- Successful track record of launching SaaS products; web products a must. Mobile or developer products (APIs) is a nice to have.
- Experience working with a global team of marketers, product managers, data analysts, and engineers.
- Strong customer focus and empathy.
- Passion for creating a high quality marketing collateral and customer journeys with a keen eye for detail and intuitive user experiences.
- Adept at pairing data with market intuition to always keep decisions moving forward.
- Understanding of key SaaS metrics including MRR, Churn, LTV, ARPU, and how these metrics impact one another.
- Bias towards action with an ability to drive results near term as well as the ability to zoom out and connect the day to day work to our larger mission.
What We Value
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy and patience are just a few of Buffer’s cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness. Here’s a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative and positive thanks to our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you’ll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth and evolution that is a career.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you’re excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is: $142k – $168k USD.
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like!
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $500 to set up your home office!
👓 ‘Growth mindset’ fund: Extra money for learning and development.
⛺️ Minimum vacation: At least 3 weeks/year!
🤑 401(k): With 3% company match.
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits!
🍼 Family leave: 3 months of family leave for all parents, and more is possible.
✈️ Retreats: Join us for company get-togethers twice per year! Our next retreat is in Greece. (These are on pause for now.)
☕️ Working smarter stipend: Get some extra cash for a co-working space or a coffee shop work.
📚 Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books – digital, physical, and audio – you like, anytime.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
Where You’ll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product.
For this position, we’d strongly prefer a candidate in North or South America timezones.
Here’s our hiring process:
Stage 1: Apply to join the team through the form below. If you don’t hear from us for the first week or two after submitting your application, don’t be alarmed. 🙂
Stage 2: Values Interview
Stage 3: Team Interview
Stage 4: Take-Home Writing Exercise to evaluate writing style and proficiency
Stage 5: Role Interview
Stage 6: Senior Marketing Interview