About the Candidate
I am an Argentinian attorney specialized in Criminal Law from the University of Buenos Aires (UBA). Currently, I am a Researcher at the UBA and I just finished a Research internship at NYC-based think tank Global Americans. I have also worked at the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) of the Organization of American States (OAS) in Washington D.C.
I have 5 years of professional experience in research, project management, international law, human rights, and monitoring and evaluation of public policies.
University of Buenos Aires (UBA), School of Law — Buenos Aires, Argentina — December 2018
Attorney specialized in Criminal Law.
Overall mark: 7.89 (scale of 1 to 10) – Class Rank: 17%
Global Americans — Buenos Aires, Argentina (Remote)
Research Intern — July 2020 – October 2020
• Conducted in-depth research on several of Latin America’s political, social, and economical issues, such as security, justice, peace, foreign policy, development, transparency, rule of law, and human rights.
• Executive Director recognized my work for its excellence and selected me to work on an op-ed alongside Global Americans’ founder and Chatham House Senior Fellow Christopher Sabatini, which was published by three news sites across Latin America.
• Wrote, translated, and edited articles on public policy.
• Assisted in developing a project on Russian and Chinese misinformation in Latin America.
• Assisted in conference organization.
University of Buenos Aires (UBA), School of Law — Buenos Aires, Argentina
Teaching and Research Assistant — July 2017 – Present
• Conducting legal and academic research for the development of curriculum and lesson plans for the course “Philosophy and Criminal Law,” taught by faculty from the Department of Philosophy of Law.
Organization of American States, Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission — Washington, D.C.
Assistant/Intern, Institutional Strengthening Unit — January 2019 – May 2019
• Assisted the Unit in developing and implementing technical assistance programs focused on the design of national drug policies and alternatives to incarceration, such as Drug Treatment Courts and Restorative Justice.
• Reviewed six CICAD technical publications on Drug Treatment Courts (“Manual for Scientific Monitoring and Evaluation: Drug Treatment Courts in the Americas” and five diagnostic studies of countries from Central America and the Caribbean).
• Drafted formal diplomatic correspondence, for review by the CICAD Executive Secretary, to member states about CICAD project activities.
• Drafted invitations, agendas, memos, notes, and presentations for several high-level CICAD events.
• Drafted two reports for drug policy monitoring and evaluation for the SAVIA Program.
• Assisted in the organization of three experts’ meetings for three CICAD Units, several regional workshops, and outreach events.
Office of the Government Procurator for the Prison System (PPN) — Buenos Aires, Argentina
Trainee Litigator — February 2018 – December 2018
• Assisted attorneys at the PPN (an office of the Argentine Legislative Branch that protects the human rights of persons deprived of liberty in federal prisons) with ongoing litigation and criminal investigations.
• Monitored ten federal criminal investigations (four on my own and six as part of a team) and made results reports and recommendations to the PPN on how to proceed based on the findings.
• Drafted “amicus curiae” briefs for Argentine federal courts as part of ongoing litigation.
• Interviewed inmates as part of prison monitoring visits and drafted reports for PPN counsel based on my findings.
• Drafted thematic reports focused on state responsibility for international human rights law compliance.
• Co-created an evaluation protocol for older people deprived of liberty, alongside intern colleagues.
Genaisir – Law Firm and Administration Services — Buenos Aires, Argentina
Secretary — November 2017 – April 2018
• Provided telephone and online assistance to clients and managed claims; management recognized my work for its thoroughness and attention to detail.
• Negotiated business relationships with service providers and suppliers.
• Provided administrative support and assistance to the firm’s CEO.
• Assisted with optimizing financial procedures and database management for company executives.
Buenos Aires City Judiciary Council — Buenos Aires, Argentina
Administrative Assistant — December 2015 – October 2017
• Managed and digitized sensitive/confidential files for the Judicial Branch of the City of Buenos Aires.
PUBLICATIONS AND CREDITS
• Bartolo, Camila (2020), La casa en desorden, Global Americans.
• Sabatini, C. & Bartolo, C. (2020), ¿Podría la oposición democrática de Venezuela aprender de Bielorrusia?, Published in El Nacional (Venezuela), El Universal (Mexico), and El Nuevo Día (Ecuador)
• Bartolo, C., Argenal, L., & Tisnes, E. (2020), Trump administration reverses visa restrictions for international students, Global Americans.
• Manual for Scientific Monitoring and Evaluation: Drug Treatment Courts in the Americas, Organization of American States (Spanish Version – Editorial Committee and Literature Review).
• Drug Treatment Court Diagnostic Studies of countries from Central America and The Caribbean, Organization of American States (Panama, Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, and Barbados – Editorial
• Critical Research in Public International Law: The Extra-legal Methodologies Contribution
Gioja Institute, University of Buenos Aires (UBA), School of Law.
Buenos Aires, Argentina – November 2019
• Legislative Drafting Methods
Institute of Parliamentary Training (ICAP), National Congress.
Buenos Aires, Argentina – October and November 2019
• Spanish (native).
• English (Proficient User: C1 Advanced)
IELTS Academic: Overall: 7.5 / Listening: 8.5 / Reading: 7.5 / Writing: 6.5 / Speaking: 8
• French (basic knowledge).
IT COMPUTER SKILLS
• Microsoft Office (advanced); Zoom Webinars (advanced); Google Suite (advanced).