Our mission is simple—we’re changing the way we care for our parents so they can live safely at home as they age. But how we accomplish our mission is anything but simple. Every day, we’re solving complex problems that don’t come with a playbook. Sound exciting? If you’re someone who shares our core values—Own the Outcome, Solve with Empathy, and Act with Honor—let’s talk.
Founded in 2014, Honor is now one of the fastest-growing, non-medical home care companies in the U.S. Why? We realized that by combining our amazing technology and operations with the local, personal touch of our partner agencies, we could make real progress transforming this fast-growing, $30BN industry. Honor’s unique approach is driving our leadership as an innovator—and our rapid growth. We have cutting-edge machine learning, a beautiful, well-designed app, and industry-leading design, paired with a strong sales, marketing, and support engine. But we’re not a tech company, we’re a human company. The technology we design just helps our people be even better at their jobs.
About the work:
We are looking for a Workers’ Compensation and Occupational Safety Manager. This role will lead the efforts to manage all US Workers Compensation for Honor’s Care Professionals (care givers). This role will administer the workers’ compensation program for care operations including the timely processing of workers’ compensation claims; providing consult to injured employees and their supervisors; coordinating leave of absence to include return to work for injured employees; evaluating accident reports to determine accuracy and completeness; providing training and guidance to supervisors and employees; providing support for defense counsel, when needed, of workers’ compensation claims; and ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Evaluates accident reports, ensuring the timely processing of medical bills and temporary total disability benefits; reviews medical reports, witness statements, department investigation results and other documentation. Compiles facts and data regarding accident reports and filed cases.
- Supports employees through the entire life cycle of Workers’ Compensation claim including filing of the claim and return to work.
- Work diligently on behalf of the Care Pro with Workers’ Compensation Insurance carriers
- Facilitates Leave of Absence, FMLA, ADA and the interactive process.
- Acts as a liaison between employee, market leaders, claims adjuster and payroll to coordinate benefits.
- Maintains subrogation records and files for those incidents involving third parties
- Reviews documentation to determine whether medical bills and temporary total disability benefits should be continued.
- Documents telephone conversations, witness statements, medical reports, accident investigation results and payment of medical bills
- Review all open claims at least every 30 days for opportunities for claims management and partner with all relevant parties on a plan of action.
- Maintain uniform records for each claim.
Lead Management of Workers Compensation Claims
- Refine and redevelop the experience to enable a more robust, transparent and easy process for Care Professional, leaders and regional HR leaders.
- Partner with Trust & Safety, market leaders and HR to better define roles & responsibilities
- Develop multi year plan to reduce claims activity
- Establish key metrics that enables quick claim resolution and reduces claims activity
- Implements and develops a company-wide return to work/transitional duty programs.
TPA Relationship Management and Reporting
- Participates in periodic claim reviews
- Attends depositions and mediation as necessary
- Analyzes claim trends to develop recommendations for improved safety and claims management efforts and support Care quality initiatives.
- Determine recordability and reportability and maintain OSHA logs appropriately.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for the preparation and dissemination of reports as directed by the HR Director which includes “ad hoc” reporting.
- Ensure that the TPA manages the claims diligently, partners with the Director of HR and Legal to manage relevant claim details and implement a plan for resolution of claims.
Collaborate Effectively Across the Organization
- Advises and/or assists Trust & Safety and market teams in conducting investigation of accident reports, including interviewing of witnesses and procurement of relevant documentation.
- Partner to address any recurring root causes.
- Trains Care Pro HR and other stakeholders in the proper procedures, systems and forms to be utilized in workers’ compensation matters and the preparation of accident reports, notices of absence, and notices of return to work in accordance with the Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Collaborates with Honor stakeholders, (i.e., Care quality, Trust & Safety, Legal, HR, Payroll & others)
- Consults with adjusters and defense counsel regarding facts of the injury.
- Complies with federal, state and local legal requirements by studying and reviewing existing and new laws; auditing and enforcing adherence to requirements; rendering opinions; advising leadership on needed actions.
- Understands OSHA requirements and stays up to date with changes to develop new policies, processes, and trainings.
- Guides and promotes safe work performance by implementing and evaluating safety processes, policies and procedures. Provides and creates training for leaders, care operations, and care professionals regarding behavioral safety practices.
To succeed in the role, you’ll need:
- A minimum of five (5) years safety, risk management or related experience in a home care/ health care/ or related environment
- A minimum of three to five (3-5) years managing company or partner workers’ compensation programs.
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Safety Management, Occupational Safety Environment and Health, Loss Prevention or related field preferred or a combination of education and equivalent work experience
- Excellent working knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements that govern worker health and safety (i.e., FMLA, OSHA, Cal-OSHA, DOT, HAZMAT, etc.)
- Preferred certifications ARM, CFE, etc.
- Experience in home care space is highly preferred
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Excellent incident investigation skills
- Excellent leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Probability and decision-making skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Knowledge of Google Suite
- Proven ability to work and communicate with all levels of the organization; experience working with variable-hour employees a plus
- Work hours will be flexible to support multiple shifts and time zones with dynamic changing business needs
- OSHA 30-hour certification a plus
We can’t wait to learn more about you, please apply below.
Honor is remote friendly! We’re hiring across the U.S., with an entirely virtual interview and onboarding process. Moving forward, no roles will require permanent relocation, but as conditions allow, we’ll have office space for in-person collaboration in our San Francisco Bay Area, CA and Austin, TX hubs. If you’re looking for a great job that offers you the opportunity to work from home, we’d love to talk to you.