The Trust & Safety organization consists of Operations, Investigations & Intelligence, Policy, Product, and Engineering teams that designs, builds and evangelizes product experiences that protect Upwork customers and inspire a safe, inclusive and high-integrity marketplace. The work of the team is foundational to Upwork’s mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives, and the innovations they produce continue to lead the industry.
As VP, Trust & Safety, you’ll shape the vision for how we protect and grow the work marketplace of the future. You’ll solve a diverse set of problems, including seamless identity verification, detection, automation and education, working cross-functionally to develop unique and innovative ways to disincentivize bad customer behaviors and incentivize good ones. Through Operations, Investigations & Intelligence, Policy, Product, Engineering, and Analytics teams, you’ll maintain marketplace integrity, innovate on product solutions, and influence other product leaders to make Trust and Safety central to our entire product design and development process. This role will report directly to the GM of the Customer Experience and Trust business unit.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive risk mitigation strategy, overseeing the identification, assessment, and mitigation of potential threats to the platform’s integrity. You’ll take charge of proactively addressing emerging risks, ensuring a secure environment for users, and safeguarding Upwork’s reputation. You will collaborate with key stakeholders to set long term objectives, critical metrics, and closely track progress against the team’s goals.
- Spearhead initiatives to fortify Upwork’s brand through the establishment of Trust & Safety as a cornerstone. Lead efforts to enhance customer trust by instilling confidence in the platform’s security measures. Implement measures to address fraudulent activities promptly, reinforcing Upwork’s commitment to a trustworthy and reliable experience for both clients and freelancers.
- You will evangelize the value of Upwork’s Trust and Safety work to internal and external stakeholders, building up Trust and Safety as a brand and competitive differentiator, furthering Upwork’s leadership position, and creating valuable partnerships.
- You’ll collaborate with Machine Learning, Customer Operations, Engineering, and across Upwork’s product teams to protect our business and our customers safe from fraud, scams and other malicious activities.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Extensive experience leading and growing a Trust & Safety organization, building vision and roadmap, setting and achieving aggressive goals, and working seamlessly with product, engineering, design, analytics, marketing, and operations.
- Empathy for customers and experience delivering features and updates that surprise and delight customers while still deterring malicious or low-quality actions.
- Specific experience in Trust & Safety product management and leadership.
- Experience working on enterprise products and working closely with sales team leadership is a plus.
- Strong communication abilities, and experience working with and presenting to executives both internally and externally.
The annual base salary for this position in California and Washington ranges from $268,000 – $360,000