We are looking for a proven VP, Product Management that can create and scale the processes, culture, and organizational structures to turn CockroachDB into a platform that powers the most mission-critical, data-intensive applications of today and tomorrow.
This leader will decidedly transition our product development toward our DBaaS business while understanding how to create powerful and extensible platforms to support our customers that choose to self-host.
This VP will partner with the CPO and founders to develop and execute the product strategy. They will partner with the GTM and finance teams to ensure we hit the right balance between adoption and monetization.
This person will be responsible for all product management teams for the core database and cloud platform. They will ultimately be accountable for the operations of the cloud product and partner with the Growth leader to enable high-velocity sales and expansions.
- Refine and run the “operating system” for the product management team.
- Evaluate the success of the Product Management team in achieving its goals specifically supporting top-level company OKRAs and formulate plans to correct any issues
- Assist in maximizing the company’s operating performance and achieving its financial goals, particularly for the Cloud Platform.
- Build relationships with various department heads to facilitate global optimization of resources across divisions.
- Collaborate with our channels team to develop and drive our technical partnership strategy.
- Coach, and scale director-level product leaders, providing the context and air cover they need for their organizations to move the product team forward.
- Balance portfolio of platform investments to support the needs of large self-hosted customers while enabling SaaS customers.
- Partner with the CPO to communicate progress at the executive level from both a product-market fit and budget perspective.
- Stay aware of competitors, the market, expansion opportunities and new industry standards and development.
In the first 30 days, you will understand the market context, our strategic priorities, and in-flight major initiatives. You’ll get a sense for our core processes for building products for both self-hosted and SaaS users, and some of the tradeoffs and leverage points we have available to us. You’ll meet with your direct reports and their teams, as well as the department heads in supporting functions like Engineering, Sales, Customer Success, and Marketing. You will start to lead the core PM rituals around OKRs and departmental events and take other VP, Product Management responsibilities over from the CPO.
After three months you will be fully integrated into the team, and have a hypothesis on what investments we need to make, and what capabilities we need to build, to continue on our mission of helping every developer build world-changing apps. You will socialize your thinking with the CPO and the broader executive team.
- 15+ years experience in Product Management, and 10+ years in a leadership role
- Strong communication, interpersonal, public speaking, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build developer platform or cloud infrastructure products (database experience not required)
- Experience scaling and retaining high-performing and organizationally complex teams, including managing managers
- Comfort navigating and experience influencing at the executive level
- Successfully driven high-impact, cross-functional projects that directly support company-wide initiatives and goals
- Excellent writing skills; our strategic product meetings are based on docs rather than decks.