UpKeep is the leading cloud-based Asset Operations Management software developed to revolutionize the way teams manage facilities and maintenance work. We provide mobile-first SaaS solutions, Industrial IoT sensors, data analytics tools, advanced enterprise integrations, and top-notch professional services. Our innovative technology is modernizing workflows and maximizing operational efficiency for over 3,000 customers including Shell, Yamaha, Unilever, McDonalds, Subway, Pepsi, and Marriott!
We’re a Series B tech startup with 100+ team members across the US. We’ve been recognized as a “Best Place to Work” multiple years in a row by fostering an inclusive and mission-driven culture. In addition to stock options and great benefits, our people have the flexibility to work remote. UpKeep is ranked the #1 Facility Management software on Gartner, #1 Maintenance Management software on G2 Crowd, FrontRunners on Software Advice, and CMMS Leader on IDC MarketScape.
As an experienced financial leader, our VP of Finance will be an expert in building effective financial and operational systems. This role will lead our finance, accounting, legal, and business systems operations functions for our company. This highly collaborative role will provide mentorship and trusted guidance across the organization while guiding the team to be trusted business partners, provide smooth operations, and ensure the financial health of our company.
This role is accountable for building and leading highly efficient financial and risk management operations for the company, which includes the development and successful implementation of accounting and financial systems, policies, metrics tied to driving financial performance, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to allow for reporting accurate and meaningful financial results.
Essential Job Duties
- Strategy, Planning and Management
- Lead the finance team and be accountable for the accuracy and timeliness of financial reporting and processes, acting as a coach and a reviewer to develop the team and ensure smooth financial operations.Serve as a strategic business partner to our Chief Executive Officer, Board of Directors, and executive leadership team.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of our organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets, and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plans of the organization.
- Identify, acquire, and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Communicate, engage, and interact with the Board of Directors, CEO, and senior executive leadership team to ensure full transparency over the financial performance of the company.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Select and engage consultants, auditors, and investors.
- Serve as a key member of our executive leadership team.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives, and operational models.
- Interact with and align departments with the Company plans, initiatives, and recommendations.
- Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs. budget by division, and weekly cash flow by division.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identify, develop, and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches, and/or new service offerings.
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Manage financial planning and analysis department. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation, and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Participate in conference calls with lenders, vendors, Board of Directors, and senior executive leadership team.
- Accounting, General Ledger, Administration and Operations
- Ensure the proper functioning of all systems, improve automation, databases, and financial software.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data.
- Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state, and federal tax returns.
- Partner with Human Resources to ensure appropriate legal compliance.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts, and overhead cost allocation.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools, and control systems.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Ensure timely and error free bi-weekly payroll processing, systems, automations, and payroll GL accounting.
- Financial Management
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability.
- Explore new investment opportunities and provide recommendations on potential returns and risks.
- Maintain outstanding banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets.
- Financial Relations and Policies
- Engage senior executive leadership team and/or board of directors to develop short-term and long-term plans, projections, and budgets.
- Represent the company to banks, financial partners, institutions, investors, public auditors, and officials.
- Remain current on audit best practices as well as state, federal, and local laws regarding company operations.
- Cash Management
- Oversee weekly cash management and AP Department, approve large payables, sign checks, authorize large wires, and ACHs.
- Supervise Accounts Receivable management and provide guidance relating to the collection process.
- 10+ years of total finance/accounting experience
- 3+ years in a software company, leading their financial operations or as a controller
- Experience working at a SaaS company preferred
- Full command of GAAP accounting, financial statements, budgeting and forecasting, and internal controls.
- Previously experience leading diverse, high-performing teams that successfully deliver and scale and organization
- Confidently lead company capitalization and related work, including equity and debt financing, compliance, corporate risk management, and investor relations
- Synthesize data and input from disparate sources into a coherent financial model, and you present your work in a way that allows other business leaders to make informed decisions
- Anticipate, define, and lead efforts to build infrastructure that will strengthen systems, accounting, and financial management practices
- Think strategically – understands the market, anticipates future trends, and uses this knowledge to create competitive advantage and set the strategic direction.
- Translate strategy – converts the strategic agenda into goals and key performance indicators. Can foresee future opportunities, develop plans, and communicate the go forward vision clearly.
- Leads change – recognizes strategic opportunities for change, acts as a change champion and inspires others, sets change direction and pace.
- Makes sound and timely decisions – integrates stakeholder views and expertise into clearly articulated decisions that achieve targeted outcomes. Solve problems with speed, objectivity, and creativity. Ability to traffic in information and facts, not illusion and politics.
- Uses the full capabilities of UpKeep – develop level below to be effective leaders, creates a culture of continuous learning and innovation where all employees can reach their full potential. Champion and lead in alignment of company philosophy, initiatives, practices, and policies.
- Builds a shared future – creates an environment where opinions and inputs from employees are regularly sought out and acted on. Establish communication systems and flows.
- Over communicates – provide a strong vision that inspires confidence in the future and makes employees want to achieve the company vision and goals. Recognizes employees and celebrates with the team.
- Displays ethical character and competence – gains trust by acting with integrity and intent. Value people, display and role model respectful interactions. Creates a culture that fosters high ethical standards.
- Get results – brings about the right kind of results by providing clear expectations, staying the course, seizing opportunities, and tackling problems head-on to avoid distraction.
- Handle challenges well – face a problem/crisis head-on with perseverance, and a calm demeanor to keep the team grounded and contributing to our long-term success.
- Is a role model – displays high levels of commitment and energy, role models our company values and sets high standards of behavior.
$200,000 – $255,000 a year