Instrument is a digital product and brand experience agency of more than 400 talented people on a dozen different teams, each focused on particular clients and dedicated to producing best-in-class work. Our shift to a remote-first model has only strengthened and diversified our company culture, and we’re committed to career advancement, personal support, and a healthy work/life balance for everyone we hire.
Here at Instrument, we frequently utilize freelance support and are always looking to grow our roster of talented UX strategists. If you’re interested in being considered for any current or upcoming freelance opportunities, we would love to hear from you! We are open to a range of experience and skill.
As a freelance UX Strategist at Instrument, you’ll be a key contributor in defining the future of digital products and services. You’re a natural problem-solver with a passion for making the complex simple. You’re a great systems thinker, love to dive into the details, and have a strong intuition for what makes a product great. You uncover insights and opportunities everywhere and consistently add value, context and momentum to the work that we do. You are curious, love to learn, and have a passion for communicating with clarity and intention. But above all, you must value and enjoy working within a highly collaborative team. You believe in doing great work and being great to work with. Our project teams are small and you’ll be creating and pushing yourself each day.
Our typical projects require full time (40 hrs/week) support, Monday – Friday. Please indicate your typical availability in your application.
What You Could Potentially Be Tasked With
- Be involved in projects from concept to completion injecting rigorous strategic thinking each step of the way
- Partner with and present to senior clients, manage their requests, and thoughtfully implement feedback
- Architect and facilitate discovery workshops, user & stakeholder interviews, and brainstorming sessions
- Define and prioritize features and personas
- Create journey maps, user flows, page IA, and wireframes
- Define hypothesis, moderate usability studies and concept tests
- Analyze and optimize based on quantitative data, A/B tests
- Work with team leadership to identify new strategy capabilities for existing and future clients
What You’ll Bring
- You have at least 3+ years experience with creating experience maps, wireframes, personas, user flows, requirements documentation, and other deliverables commonly needed in UX-focused projects
- Experience working with creative and technical partners having been a member of a multidisciplinary teamExperience with user research and testing methodologies—has designed user testing sessions for one or more projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills—can be relied on to articulate complex ideas to designers, developers, clients, and to users through the work itself
- Strong knowledge of modern design tools, workflows, and methods of prototyping. In our team, these include Sketch, Invision, and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Knowledge and experience designing native applications for Android and iOS
- You’re insatiably curious and love to learn about people, technology, cultures, and industries — you bring this curiosity into your work as you constantly seek out fresh ideas
- A background in business or brand strategy, with experience gathering insights that inform strategic approach to early-stage concept development
- Detail-oriented, natural-born problem solver, and not afraid to get deep into the details
- Strong sense of ethics, and responsibility in understanding the way the work we do influences the world around us
- The expected pay range for this role is $61-74 per hour , but will depends on the level in which you are engaged
- Our company has three regional pay bands that it adheres to depending on your location, we reference them as US 1, US 2, and US 3.
- US 3 is our base pay. Examples of cities in US 3 are Portland, Houston and Miami.
- US 2 pay is 7.5% higher than US 3 to meet the market rates. Examples of cities in US 2 are Los Angeles, Chicago and Seattle.
- US 1 pay is 15% higher than US 3 to meet market rates. Examples of cities in US 1 are Brooklyn and San Francisco.
- If you are curious which region you are in, please apply and get connected with our recruiting team!