Our Underwriters are on the front lines, interacting with our customers all day, every day. Every underwriting call, email and message has a profound impact on our business and our reputation. The average day in the life of a Pie Underwriter involves a high volume of daily transactions ranging from making underwriting decisions to issuing a certificate of insurance. As part of the Commercial Auto team you’ll be at the forefront of our underwriting team and not only responsible for day-to-day decision making but also providing guidance and expertise for how our underwriting evolves, grows and scales as we press forward.
How You’ll Do It
- Leverage commercial auto underwriting expertise to assess medium to complex risks in order to underwrite and bind new coverage.
- Quickly and effectively assess each submission through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
- Achieve profitable growth through appropriate risk evaluation while building and maintaining outstanding partner customer relationships.
- Prioritize and resolve partner customer inquiries for documentation or support.
- Provide technical assistance to the support teams and customers regarding policy and endorsement provisions and underwriting acceptability for designated insurance coverages.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on commercial insurance underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions.
- Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals.
- Participate in review and evaluation of risk portfolio, making recommendations on book management issues.
- Take on other tasks, responsibilities and projects as needed.
The Right Stuff
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience with some college coursework is preferred
- 1 year of commercial auto underwriting experience is required, 3+ years is preferred
- Aptitude for building and maintaining strong partner relationships through excellence in service, engagement & follow through in conjunction with our Business Development and Partner Experience teams.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills, to deliver more complex information effectively.
- Excellent problem solving skills to be able to manage complex tasks and work through to solutions with little guidance and direction.
- Excellent awareness of your own tasks, and how it impacts the team and deliverables.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of commercial auto from business auto to trucking
- Ability to balance the outstanding execution of processes while handling a high volume of transactions
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative on escalated issues and rush requests.
- Always seeking better ways to streamline processes and maximize efficiencies
- Verifying businesses using various resources and databases like Google, Yelp, LinkedIn, Facebook and similar sites
- Willing to work in an iterative development environment with an ever changing landscape filled with possibilities and questions.
Compensation Range for position: $80,000 – $110,000
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO, including paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work