We are looking for a Technical Support Engineer – Databases who is interested in solving complex technical problems, working directly with customers, Mysql, Postgresql, Python programming, and properly structured cloud infrastructure. If you want to be a part of our Production Engineering team and contribute to a very well funded scale-up company, we want to hear from you!
This is a 100% remote opportunity available anywhere in Canada and USA.
About the Technical Support Engineer – Databases
Technical Support Engineers at Aiven love interacting directly with customers and are interested in solving technical problems. From triaging database performance degradation, researching logs, to helping customers migrate their data to the Aiven platform, we provide an expert level of care and support to customers.
Our customers are primarily Enterprise developers with a good understanding of technology, and we are tightly integrated with Product Development, Ops, and SRE teams. Depending on your interests, you can also participate in new feature development (we love Python, scripting), as well as improve our automation tooling. In Support, we love building technology to automate our repetitive tasks.
You will fit well as a Technical Support Engineer if you are curious, not afraid of asking questions, patient, friendly, respectful and practice empathy in all your interactions with customers and team members.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with customers to provide comprehensive technical troubleshooting and recommend suitable workarounds and best practices
- Coordinate efforts and offer root-cause analysis on complicated technical issues (bugs, performance issues, backup & recovery, security)
- Dedicate time per week for projects, learning and personal improvement
- Collaborate with engineering and product teams to meet service levels, support quality, and user happiness goals
- Ensure all customer cases are responded to within the SLAs and in a professional manner
- Research, reproduce and report product malfunctions
- Advocate on the customer’s behalf and provide feedback to Aiven sales and product teams
- Identify and document feature requests while working cases
- Document solutions, playbooks, and standards for customers as well as for internal use
- Support and help build a team where diversity, inclusion, teamwork and openness inspire other team members
What We’re Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- 5+ years of significant experience supporting PostgreSQL, MySQL in a public cloud environment
- Able to identify and fix a problematic query
- Experience in configuring databases based on hardware specifications from public clouds
- Working knowledge of PostgreSQL or MySQL third-party tools and high-availability
- Previous experience working and troubleshooting Linux environments (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc)
- Able to perform database backups using basic linux tooling
- Know how to setup a monitoring solution and use it to observe database performance
- Experience mentoring junior and intermediate support engineers during the triage process
- Ability to create and put in practice Support engineering principles and processes
- Able to work well under pressure and come up with solutions
- Strong English communication skills (speaking, written, and verbal).
- Support and operations experience in a SaaS environment
- Experience with AWS, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud
- Experience with Kafka or NoSQL products
- Demonstrate a good level of self-motivation, autonomy, curiosity and positive attitude
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work – and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups – empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Need insurance: We’ve got you covered – benefit from our: Comprehensive health insurance including dental and vision benefits, Life and AD&D insurance and Travel medical insurance
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide you with health care and wellness spending accounts, as well as short and long term disability plans that protect you if you’re unable to work
- Looking after your future: you’re covered by our group RRSP retirement plan with a DPSP Aiven match
- Make the most of the various discount programs on offer