The Tax Manager – Americas is part of Xero’s Global Finance Team, which undertakes the finance function of all of Xero’s worldwide operations. The Tax Team, within the wider Finance Team, is a global shared service and is responsible for all tax matters across the Xero Group including indirect & income tax compliance, tax accounting, transfer pricing, expatriate tax, contract reviews and any projects that may arise.
You will support the Tax Team to provide a beautiful tax service to the Xero Group, with a focus on key tax functions for Xero’s operations in the United States and Canada. including federal and state income taxes, tax provisioning for financial reporting, sales and use taxes. You will provide specialist support to Xero’s pay team You will also provide timely and accurate tax advice to the Xero Group, and help mentor junior members of the Tax & Finance teams.
You will become a trusted advisor to the business. You will be experienced in managing global tax engagements, and have demonstrated the ability to manage relationships with key stakeholders, including external advisors. Success in this role will required cultivating relationships with key internal stakeholders including the Americas payroll, legal and finance teams.
What you’ll do
- Manage Xero’s CIT compliance obligations for it’s US and Canadian entities
- Management of Xero’s other US and Canadian tax obligations
- Assist with preparation of Xero’s ½ year and full year tax provisioning
- Support Xero’s Global Indirect Manger with US and Canadian sales tax
- Provide specialist tax support to Xero’s Pay Team
- Engage with the business on tax by providing tax advice on tax matters and providing support on finance team and wider business projects
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders, including third party service providers
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of Xero’s tax policies, processes and governance and that documents produced conform to the highest standards of accuracy
- Embed efficiencies and improvements into the tax team’s recurring compliance processes
- Mentor and support junior members of the tax team
- Provide assistance on other non-tax related matters as requested by your manager and the Finance Team
Success looks like
- Quality, accuracy and timeliness of compliance work
- Ability to provide timely and accurate advice on taxation matters as they arise
- Building relationships at all levels across the business
- Understanding of the business and global tax issues
- Ability and desire to assist in broader areas as required
What you’ll bring with you
- Strong experience in the Tax field, either in a large corporate or Big 4 CA environment
- Maintain a professional qualification (e.g. CPA or CA)
- Strong & proven tax compliance background, including tax accounting and return preparation
- Experience with respect to US Sales Taxes and/or payroll taxes is highly desirable
- Experience using Onesource Tax Provision (and a familiarity with International Financial Reporting Standards) is an advantage but not a requirement.
- Motivated with a high level of self-initiative
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Willingness to get the job done and learn new skills and concepts and to get into the detail where required.
- A genuine team player who works collaboratively with and contributes to the function of a high performing team
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy is essential
- Strong planning, organizational and self-management skills with an ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- An aptitude for self-development for current and future
- Embraces a #Ownership mindset and is focused on delivering results
- Ability to research and document relevant legislation and tax guidance