nstrumentl (YC S16) is the best platform for nonprofits and grant writing consultants looking to grow revenue from grants. We help over 3,000 nonprofits manage and win more grants by bringing discovery, tracking and grant management to one place. Our mission is to be a force multiplier on the nonprofit sector’s ability to drive impact. We’re cash flow positive and doubling year-over-year, with customers who love us (NPS is 65+ and Ellis PMF survey is 60+).
About the role:
As the Strategic Finance Lead at Instrumentl, you will play a pivotal and influential role in shaping and executing on our financial strategy, investment decisions, and operational efficiency. Leveraging your expertise in financial modeling and forecasting, you will provide valuable insights to support key strategic decisions related to planning, budgeting, fundraising, and hiring. You will report to our co-founder and act as a key partner to our executive team. With a focus on managing crucial Finance Department KPIs, optimizing costs, and supporting pricing strategies, you will be instrumental in driving our company’s growth trajectory and long-term success. This is our first Finance hire. This role has strong strategic focus like budgeting, forecasting, and financial planning and ownership of financial infrastructure like accounting & bookkeeping function and vendors, tools and processes.
At Instrumentl we are building tools to make a positive impact and you will be critical in ensuring our growth trajectory and long-term success. If you’re ready to take on a transformative role, we look forward to hearing from you.
What you’ll get to do:
- Provide strategic insights to support decision-making for planning, fundraising, mergers and acquisitions, and hiring
- Partner with cross-functional teams to support investment decisions, strategic initiatives, operational efficiency projects, and forecast revenue for new product lines
- Develop and maintain sophisticated financial models and forecasts to analyze financial performance, potential risks, growth opportunities, pricing, revenue retention, company budgeting, and long-term positioning
- Prepare accurate and insightful financial reports, including monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, for the leadership team, Board of Directors, and investors
- Set the direction for company financial infrastructure and tooling
- Monitor and manage critical Finance Department KPIs, including cash flow and burn rate
- Contribute to setting and achieving future success targets using data-driven insights
- Identify opportunities for cost optimization and efficiency improvements throughout the organization
- Oversee investments for idle cash and partner with the business to help support key investments that will fuel long-term growth
- As required, prepare for audits and manage compliance-related tasks
- Provide continuous improvement to our planning and analysis processes, tools, and reporting
- Assist with ad hoc analysis to provide data-driven recommendations for partner teams and address complex business problems
What we’re looking for:
- 6+ years of experience solving complex problems, implementing recommendations, and executing business processes
- Proven experience in strategic finance, management consulting, or investment banking, preferably in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment, with ample executive exposure
- Strong appreciation & respect for accounting and bookkeeping
- Demonstrated track record of successfully driving complex cross-functional projects
- Comfortable with ambiguity and ability to thrive within the organizational dynamics of a fast-growth company
- Mastery in advanced financial modeling, budgeting, forecasting, and cutting-edge financial analysis techniques
- Strong command of SQL and data visualization tools
- Seasoned grasp of financial statements, key performance indicators (KPIs), and intricate financial metrics
- Experience delivering impactful presentations to leadership teams to advise on critical company initiatives
- Extensive experience in facilitating goal setting at diverse levels, encompassing quarterly, annual, 3-year, and strategic projects
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Grace under pressure with a good sense of humor and dose of humility
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary + equity 100% covered health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, 50% for dependents
- Generous PTO policy, including parental leave
- Company laptop + $500 to set up your home workstation
- Work with awesome nonprofits around the US
- We partner with incredible organizations doing meaningful work, and you get to help power their success
– We’re customer-focused. We are paranoid about shipping things that won’t be valuable to our customers, and deeply involve our customers into our product development process. Our first company value is “The customer is the hero” and we mean it.
– We love to experiment. Our team is constantly generating new ideas and iterating to see what works – ideation and experimentation – are key values. “Bend the curve” is another key company value.
– We’re approachable and collaborative. Everyone has a voice, and we’re all building Instrumentl together.
– We kick it every day with some of the nicest people in the world. No joke, our customers are often on the front lines educating kids, saving endangered species, and restoring watersheds. In helping them take advantage of Instrumentl’s technology, you’re helping them move the world forward.
Instrumentl is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves on building a diverse team from the ground up. Every role is an opportunity to teach, learn, and create some of your best work – if you’re excited to grow along with us, we encourage you to apply!
Base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, candidate location, and experience.