Fastly’s Technical Operations (TechOps) team is responsible for building & operating the infrastructure that powers the Fastly Edge Cloud Platform. We oversee an extensive global network that spans 6 continents with over 252 TBps of connected capacity.
Our platform serves a significant portion of the content delivered to internet consumers across the planet, with customers ranging from online media streaming services to e-commerce, to open source projects, nonprofits and more. We take this responsibility seriously!
We’re looking for an experienced technical leader with deep knowledge of the internet that can bring strong engineering principles, operational rigour, and mature automation skills to help craft the future of Fastly’s network.
This role can be fully remote within the UK, hybrid or office based (London).
What you’ll do
- Design, build, and maintain the software & infrastructure that powers Fastly’s Edge Cloud Platform.
- Develop innovative ways of monitoring performance of the platform, with focus on the experience of end users on the Internet. Catch and remediate potential issues before they develop into impacting events.
- Increase scalability by building self-healing automation to reduce manual interaction, including network & system configuration, capacity & performance management, and traffic engineering.
- Responsibility for testing and adapting new technologies and tools for our network
- Respond to both internal & external facing incidents. Use learnings from these events to help shape processes, automation and tooling to reduce future occurrences.
- Advocate for operational stability of the network. Look for areas of opportunity and partner with engineering teams in the scoping and prioritisation of their roadmaps and software solutions.
- Participate in an on-call rotation shared with a globally distributed team (roughly one in seven weekends)
What we’re looking for
- Advanced Linux knowledge and the ability to dive deep into the stack.
- Strong coding/ scripting skills, preferably in Python or Go.
- Real-world experience in the protocols and practices that make up the fabric of the global internet, including IP, BGP, Anycast, and DNS.
- Ability to think through edge cases and failure scenarios.
- Ability to analyse traffic patterns across multiple dimensions using flow-based tools.
- Experience of DevOps practices and CI / CD pipelines (ie. Git, Jenkins, Ansible)
- Understanding of highly available & complex systems and how they operate at scale.
- Passionate about knowledge sharing.
- Strong documentation skills and a willingness to mentor others
- At Fastly we don’t mind which platform/vendor you’ve had your experience on, we care that you know how the protocols work, not their specific vendor CLI deployment
This role may be eligible to participate in Fastly’s equity and discretionary bonus programs.