We are a team of hardworking engineers that love to make the software-engineering experience as easy, fun, and productive as possible. As a Software Engineer in the Developer Experience (DevX) team you will work on the bedrock of which all other systems sit on top. From local development CLI tools to CI systems and deployment tools; you will be responsible for the mechanisms that empower an engineering team deploying code 50-100 times per day. The DevX team operates with a product driven approach, working closely with our customers to better serve them; we even have our own Product Manager, yes, you read that right. Our customers? The entire engineering organization at Better!
Some examples of our current projects:
- Standing up Spinnaker for continuous deployments and automated rollbacks.
- Automating provisioning of branch-environments to enable more comprehensive and better-isolated PR tests.
- Improving CI performance and cost.
- Continuing to expand our CLI tooling to automate even more day-to-day tasks for developers.
- Setting up a unified, dockerized, interface for services so that after a fresh clone of the repo on a new machine every service is runnable with a single command from a cold start.
- Building a service catalog to enable developers to discover shared resources, common libraries and practices, code ownership, etc.
- Adopt CD by shipping code many times a day.
- Node.js, Python, and Go for services.
- Ember.js, React, Typescript on the frontend.
- Postgres for the database, Redshift for our Data warehouse.
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops, along with datadog and kibana for metrics and logging.
- AWS for infrastructure, using EKS, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of experience coding in at least one modern language such as Python, Ruby, Node.js, Go, Java, C#, C++.
- 1+ year of experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and existing systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling).
- Working experience with Linux, shell scripting, docker, makefiles, terraform, and/or cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Experience building multi-tier production software systems utilizing HTTP APIs (REST, GraphQL) and backend storage (PostgreSQL, MySQL).
- Proven ability to understand the tech stack and debug code.
- Enthusiastic about the opportunity of impacting the engineering culture from the bottom up.
- Demonstrated experience solving broad developer problems.
- Demonstrated experience creating documentation consumed by other developers.
- A Startup mentality, ownership, and a proper balance of quality and sense of urgency.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego