BenchSci’s vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We do this by empowering scientists to run more successful experiments with the world’s most advanced, easy to use biomedical artificial intelligence software platform, thereby avoiding delays that slow the progress of medicine to clinical trials. Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for more than 41,000 scientists that accelerates research at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We’re a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently seeking a Software Engineer to join our growing Data team! Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will evolve our data models, operationalize production-grade data pipelines, and contribute to our document mining/information retrieval initiatives as we expand our ability to extract valuable insights from scientific publications and databases. On the BenchSci Data team, you will have the opportunity to work with a group of talented and passionate contributors as you play a key role in shaping the future of scientific discovery and progress.
- Scale data pipelines to allow our data to go from research to platform as fast as possible
- Collaborate with ML and Data engineers to solve complex document mining challenges, enabling us to capture and model additional scientific experiments
- Develop data access mechanisms for downstream applications consumption
- Expand the types of biological reagents and experiments that we can successfully extract from various types of media
- Manage sources that contain both semi-structured and unstructured data
- Apply state-of-the-art data processing engines to rapidly process our data sets
- Employ best practices for a broad platform of technologies within a cloud-based environment
- Provide troubleshooting analysis and resolution in a timely manner
- Work on projects involving some of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world
- Solve difficult problems and bring new perspectives to the team
- Have opportunities to work both independently and in pair-programming settings
- 2+ years of experience working as a professional developer
- Experience with Python and SQL
- Experience with data processing engines (we use Beam)
- A strong background in data structures and data manipulation
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Work or academic experience in the life sciences
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-code
- Experience with technical design and applying architectural patterns
Our benefits and perks:
- An engaging remote-first culture that hires the best talent from around the world
- A competitive compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits with an emphasis on mental health
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan for proactive health awareness
- Three weeks of vacation plus an additional day for every completed year
- Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
- Additional time-off: Winter Holiday (Dec 25-Jan 1), Summer Holiday, your birthday, and more!
- An Oculus Quest 2 to connect with your team members in Virtual Reality
- An executive coach for managers to assist in leading high-performing teams
- Complimentary Headspace account to support mental wellness and focus
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe to better understand your health through your DNA
We believe culture is critical to success and invest accordingly. We live and promote our FASTT values of focused, advancement with speed, tenacity, and transparency. We work hard to maintain an engaging, supportive environment where everyone can do their best work. To learn more, read our culture deck.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. To learn more, read about our DEI initiatives.