- First Week: Learn about Column’s mission and vision and seek to understand our existing product. You will have set initial 1:1s with teammates who will inform your understanding of our market, customers, and current projects. We’re a small company growing quickly, so interpersonal rapport matters.
- First Month: Dig into the design and development processes followed within the organization. You’ve reviewed the existing design system and started a gap analysis between that and our component library. You’re starting to contribute to ongoing projects, even initially in a supportive role.
- First Six Months: Independently ran a design sprint and led and completed two major design projects, demonstrating ownership and accountability. You have a comprehensive understanding of the company’s values and strategic goals. You have established strong working relationships cross-functionally through design collaboration and validation. You’ve also expanded the design system at the component or layout level.
- First Year: Act ****as a trusted, collaborative, and practical design leader at Column. You can track the impact of design solutions on key metrics and business outcomes. You consistently balance user needs, business goals, and technical constraints effectively. You’ve contributed to the improvement and scalability of design systems and processes.
Our Ideal Candidate
- You’re looking for a remote-first role working with wildly talented people who care about their impact on local communities
- You have experience with all stages of the design process — from ideation and user research to low- to high-fidelity mock-ups and delivering designs — and enjoy working with product managers and engineers on designs
- 4-6 years experience: In all stages of the design — ideation, user research, low- to high-fidelity mock-ups, collaboration with engineers, and delivering designs — process for a web application.
- You’re excited to have exceptional ownership over the future of interface design at Column and embrace the fact that being the only designer means that you will have little day-to-day guidance, support, or feedback from other designers
- You’re comfortable working on a team and in an environment that moves quickly while maintaining pixel-perfect design standards
- You’re familiar with web-first design practices, care about designing for accessibility, and have created and/or owned a design library
- You have a strong desire to exemplify our operating principles — be worthy of trust, do work that matters, never stop learning, intentionally build community, and tell a better story
- You have worked with any design tool (Figma, Sketch, AdobeXP) — preference for Figma, must be willing to work with a design tool as opposed to Photoshop
- You have an understanding and experience around prioritization within a product organization
Compensation and Benefits
Column is built on the belief that important information should be accessible to the public. As such, we work hard to model this behavior for potential Columnists by including our base compensation in all job descriptions and making our full benefits accessible online.
- For US-based candidates, we offer a base salary of $145,000 plus a meaningful equity stake and a 401k plan with a 5% match
- For candidates outside of the US, we use a market multiplier and 12-month trailing conversion rate to convert base salary into local currency. We also offer a meaningful equity stake and retirement plans relevant to the country (e.g., a pension plan in the UK).
- In addition, all Columnists receive healthcare, vision, & dental coverage for them and their dependents
- Unlimited (and encouraged) paid time off with a suggested 15-day minimum and 16-weeks paid parental leave
- Multiple stipends for you to invest in a home office setup and pursue wellness activities that make you feel healthy and