dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
We’re seeking an experienced Sr. Technical Instructor with a passion for teaching and working with data to join our training team to setup Enterprise customers for success with dbt Cloud to empower data developers to create and disseminate organizational knowledge.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Deliver live, world-class instruction to train and onboard dbt Cloud customers in small (~10), large groups (up to ~30) and webinar audiences (50 – 200)
- Create an engaging learning environment initially in a remote context (on Zoom!) and likely in person in the future
- Get learners excited about using dbt Cloud to make an impact at their organization
- Clearly teach and demo new concepts and skills for learners
- Facilitate live co-development sessions where learners apply what they have learned
- Adjust instruction on the fly while focusing on learner outcomes
- Provide critical feedback from your classroom experience to improve curriculum changes
- Become a product expert with dbt in the context of the modern data stack (if you aren’t already)
- Jump in on other education projects including curriculum development and improving our workflows
You are a good fit if:
- You have 4+ years experience teaching with some data analytics experience OR 4+ years of data analytics experience with some teaching
- You have experience writing SQL in an analytics context
- You love teaching and creating those lightbulb moments for learners
- You create learning environments with high levels of engagement
- You are laser focused on learner and customer outcomes while adjusting instruction on the fly – our customers are coming to use our product from varied tooling and skillsets
- You believe teaching is a craft that we can always get better at and actively seek out feedback
- You communicate clearly and concisely with internal and external stakeholders
- You thrive in an environment of cross-collaboration that moves quickly
You’ll have an edge if:
- You have worked on customer education / training teams and know how training can drive outcomes for customers.
- You have experience using dbt and/or teaching dbt.
- You have experience writing analytics code (i.e. python, R, etc.) in addition to SQL and working with databases
- You have experience designing curricula with a focus on backwards design.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $115k – $148k
- Equity Stake
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation, 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, excellent healthcare, office and cell/internet stipends, and paid parental leave
What to expect in the hiring process:
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with Hiring Manager (Director of Training)
- After that we’ll ask you to live teach a 15 minute lesson to see your teaching in action
- Team interviews with current instructors and our VP, Customer Services
- Final interview with one of our Values Carriers
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source