As a member of our Messages team, working with Kotlin and Java, you’ll be enhancing our Beacon and Messages products and contributing to the expansion of our developer platform. These products empower over 11,000 companies around the world to deliver world-class support to their customers.
The ideal engineer for this position enjoys building and collaborating on elegant solutions. You relish the opportunity to tackle both customer and product-orientated problems.
At this time, we are only able to hire in the United States for this role.
Given that we have remote team members living between EU through Central time zones, we require that your regular working hours overlap with 9 AM – 1 PM ET to ensure several solid blocks of overlap time with your team members.
What You’ll do:
- Join a cross-functional team to expand APIs for our Beacon, Messages products, and integrations, including work on our developer platform. These components serve tens of millions of requests daily.
- Participate in daily tasks, decisions on implementation, testing, backlog prioritization, code reviews, and architectural decisions.
- Enjoy an iterative software approach, remote, agile development, and autonomous work in a trust-based environment.
- Provide engineering support, focusing on performance, security, and usability, to ensure a magical customer experience.
- Expect challenges from product people and work closely with our technically committed founders to create impactful solutions for businesses globally.
Our Tech Stack
- We leverage AWS, Redis, RabbitMQ, Aurora MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.
- We also use Slack, Jira, Github, Jenkins, Docker, and Drone.
- You are an engineer motivated by creating software that helps people, with Java-specific expertise to deliver outstanding experiences.
- You are experienced in crafting relevant, customer-focused solutions, enthusiastic about the JVM ecosystem, and comfortable with high traffic volumes.
- You are a friendly, collaborative, and humble engineer, unafraid to ask for help, ready for complex challenges, and confident in your abilities.
- You emphasize personal growth and constructive feedback, believing in improving both yourself and the team.
- You communicate empathetically and collaboratively with both engineering and non-engineering stakeholders, recognizing the importance of clear communication in a remote culture.
- You are considerate in your impact on others, with a thoughtful, flexible approach to mentoring and guiding decisions, leaving codebases better than you found them.
- You are aligned with or excited about the idea of remote teams, possessing experience or adaptability to remote-friendly work.
Who You’ll Work With:
- Jana Mays — Engineering Coach (Manager), You’ll report directly to Jana
- Julie Cousins – Director of Product Engineering
More information about our engineering culture and organization
- Engineering Leadership Team Values
- Success Measure and Guiding Principles
- Experience Org: mission, vision, strategy
Each role at Help Scout has a pay range aligned to our salary formula and based on national market data. We take a competency-based approach and pay is based on the level and band of your role. We assess levelling during the hiring process for new teammates, during our bi-annual performance review cycles, and when a teammate’s role changes.
Our remote compensation philosophy is not based on the employee’s geographic location. You are paid the same no matter where you live.
The salary range for this role is $156,000-$168,000.