As a Senior Security Engineer at Bitwarden, you will be responsible for conducting purple team testing, including threat research and analysis, White-Box pentests, code audits, security validation testing, and cryptography reviews against Bitwarden’s products and services. In addition, you will be part of the security incident response team, and assist with security incident response, incident investigation, and triage. Additional responsibilities include remediation of any security issues that are identified during internal or external pen tests and assessments while working alongside our engineering and security team members to ensure Bitwarden platform and services are secure and resilient.
We’re looking for someone who is a self-starter with highly technical skills overlapping offensive and defensive capabilities. The right candidate will have experience using security and vulnerability management tools and solutions to detect and prevent cyber related vulnerabilities in the company’s services and networks as well as to any mobile and Internet-facing applications, systems and environments.
This is an all-remote team and we need someone who can have some overlap with the US Eastern time zone. We do not offer visa sponsorship at this time.
- Research emerging threats across the surface web, dark web, and deep web.
- Build threat models, conduct threat hunts, and plan and execute purple team engagements.
- Coordinate internal red team testing operations that emulate a threat actor.
- Collaborate with application development teams, platform engineers, and Security Operations Center (SOC) engineers to improve our offensive and defensive security controls.
- Contribute to vulnerability testing and analysis, incident response and analysis, alert response and analysis activities
- Include testing for web, mobile, CLI, and desktop application security issues across our multi-product portfolio, including Bitwarden Password Manager, Secrets Manager, and Passwordless.dev, our APIs, serverless functions, and database.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge
- Independently plan, estimate and deliver new feature work and bug fixes
- Contribute bug fixes for security related issues.
- Coordinate technical validation and leadership review of purple team reports detailing testing results and potential areas of improvement.
- Conduct internal penetration tests on systems and networks to determine realistic threat vectors.
- Effectively communicate findings, attack paths, and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Train others on the adversary simulation tactics and procedures used
- Stay informed on current security trends, publications, and advisories
- Assist to provide guidance and subject matter expertise as it pertains to all areas of security and technical operations, including analysis of our cloud environments, security testing and documentation, as well as investigations, software research, new technology, services and tools research, and vendor security analysis.
WHAT YOU BRING TO BITWARDEN
- Experience with Penetration Testing Tools, such as Burp Suite, NMAP, Nessus, Metasploit, Kali Linux, SQLMap, Owasp ZAP, and manual testing tools
- In depth knowledge of leading vulnerability management tools and strategies.
- In depth understanding and usage of application security testing technologies is a plus.
- Understanding of authentication concepts, including OpenIDConnect, SAML, OAuth, and SSO flows
- Strong working knowledge of vulnerability management tools, data and network security technologies.
- Collaborative and adaptable mindset
- Openness and authenticity combined with excellent communication skills
- Excitement and enthusiasm for open source and for better internet security
- Excellent problem-solving skills – you might not know all the answers, but you know how to find and communicate the solution
- Ability to maintain discretion, handle sensitive information and maintain security best-practices
- Security purple team technocrat at heart, staying current with trends and new technologies
- User of Bitwarden
- Expertise in developing and maintaining .NET Core services and libraries in C#
- Experience with maintaining, modifying, and optimizing SQL databases for enterprise-level solutions
- Experience in the SecOps world and ability to apply security best practices across the organization
- Experience with various MDM solutions
- Azure/AWS management experience
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule an introduction call and potentially progress through the following stages:
- Interview with hiring manager
- Interview with team members
- Interview with Head of Security
- Interview with VP of Engineering
- Reference calls
A FEW REASONS TO WORK WITH US
- Our user community loves us and we love them. Come to work each day with a sense of purpose as we bring a more secure internet experience to everyone––from our friends and family to the world’s largest organizations.
- Become an expert in a growing market. You’ll get immersed in the prominent technology markets of security and open source software.
- Learn and grow professionally. Embrace the opportunity to build up your demand generation and product-led growth expertise in a fast-growing startup.
- We are dedicated to building a diverse and talented team. Work remotely with motivated and supportive team members across the world and take part in productive and fun meetups.