In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave’s mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from several African nations – and more recently Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
How you’ll help us achieve it
Our risk team exists to ensure we block the scam victims, money launderers, and terrorists while making the sending experience as easy and joyful as possible for our intended users. In the coming year, we want to start sending money to Somalia, Pakistan, and other countries where the risks of terrorist financing are very real, but so too are the money-sending needs of diasporas around the world that number in the millions. Your mission is to help build the risk frameworks that allow us to give those diasporas the seamless user experience they deserve whilst ensuring bad actors are kept at bay. To accomplish this, you’ll be responsible for owning and iterating on a roadmap involving the integration of vendor tools, training new fraud/anomaly detection algorithms, throttling heuristic defenses, supporting our risk operations teams, and improving our monitoring capabilities.
Day-to-day you’ll work with the Risk, Product and Growth Marketing teams to understand opportunities, spec out potential solutions and prioritize improvements. You’ll need to be able to dig in and understand the underlying science behind the heuristics and models and work together with our data science lead to prioritize their evolution operationalization in our product. You’ll need to understand our users, how they differ across corridors and consider how our fraud/risk decisioning will affect them – striking the right balance for our business between growth and risk.
- You’ve managed the full life-cycle of core features of a data-science intensive product, including operationalizing and then iterating on ML models and heuristics which have an outsized impact on the user experience. You are passionate both about the science and the user experience and you know how to evaluate the science with a lens of the user experience.
- You probably have 4+ years of professional product management experience ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment and in the payments, identity or anti-fraud space.
- You know how to develop, clearly communicate and then drive implementation of a product roadmap which balances both risk and growth, by prioritizing ruthlessly and making complex tradeoffs thoughtfully and collaboratively together with data scientists, engineers, marketers and other stakeholders.
- You have strong analytics skills and are not afraid to learn or use new tools, write SQL, dig through tickets in Zendesk, fire up a Jupyter notebook, dig into some python code or do what ever else it takes for you to frame questions and get data quickly so you and your teams can better understand a problem, prioritize solutions, or evaluate the effectiveness of a new model or heuristic.
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- You have a willingness to travel four weeks / year to meet with your team and the rest of the company. In addition you would be excited to spend a couple of additional weeks a year traveling to collaborate in-person with our delivery partners worldwide.
You might be a good fit if you
- Can easily communicate with both technical and non-technical folks, and are able to incorporate their feedback, technical or not, into a scientific product roadmap.
- Are a creative and flexible problem solver, and interested in finding the best solutions for our particular needs
- Like getting in the weeds and making projects happen
- Are excited about multiple kinds of work and want to help out where it’s needed
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Belgium, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Ghana, and Kenya.
- This is a permanent position and reports to the Head of Product
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of over 200 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.