We’re looking for a senior infrastructure engineer to help develop the data and cloud backbones of our products. You’ll help manage cloud infrastructure and build and maintain systems that allow for the sustainable and scalable future of our product. Join a small and fiercely committed edtech startup team to support the learning of millions of students around the world!
Our mission and team
Our mission is to make learning easy and fun. We know that educational inequities have left students overwhelmed and fending for themselves. In order to close the opportunity gap, we need to create space for students to be creative and curious. To do this, we’ve created a social network for online learning communities through interactive content and courses. Because of COVID, we’re in a lightning strike moment for education and we’re fired up to change the way things are for high school students.
We’re a creative group of former teachers, community builders, game designers, and generally curious people who are driven by social impact. We’re focused on building a diverse team and are inclusive of all backgrounds. And we’re big on growth mindsets – we’re all learning!
- Creative – You always find a way to get something done.
- Passionate – You care deeply and pour yourself into what you do.
- Efficient – You work smarter, not harder.
- Candid – You communicate consistently and authentically
- Flexible – You go with the flow and find new paths to your goals.
- Empathetic – You understand how others feel and know why they act the way they do
- A Problem-Solver – You take initiative to present solutions to problems that you encounter or notice
- A Teacher – You love sharing your knowledge (especially to those who are less familiar with tech) and leveling up teammates
- Broad experience managing cloud infrastructure, ideally with AWS.
- Practical experience creating scalable, highly available, and resilient cloud architectures that support millions of users.
- Hands-on experience with modern techniques like Infrastructure as Code, Continuous Integration, Containerization, etc.
- A deep understanding of complex systems and a desire to plan for their evolution, with respect to product roadmaps.
- Experience using monitoring & alerting tools like DataDog or Splunk.
- A passion for automation. You’d rather write 10 lines of code than click around a cloud console.
- 4-7 years of experience in relevant disciplines.
As a Senior Infrastructure Engineer, you’ll develop the backbone of our products to support millions of students learning together! 🐋
- Ensure our infrastructure is ready to handle massive user growth by recommending and creating exceptional architecture and then stress testing it.
- Advise engineers on frontend/backend application practices that will ensure security, minimized strain on infrastructure, and seamlessly scalable applications.
- Be involved with sprint planning & product roadmapping to ensure infrastructure needs are top-of-mind in our timelines, estimates, and roadmaps.
- Lead the engineering organization towards a robust integration of our products from the perspective of software design & architecture.
- Increase efficiency amongst engineering teams through automation and light dev-ops work.
- Ensure teams are developing with best-practices in mind with respect to scalability, software architecture, and security.
- Build & lead a team of incredible infrastructure engineers, solutions architects, and staff engineers to support the foundation you’ve built!
💅 Benefits of Working at Fiveable
Fiveable is a small, but growing edtech startup that is fiercely committed to its employees. Here is what you can expect from your Fiveable experience:
- A front row seat to education innovation at an early stage startup
- A company that prioritizes inclusion and diversity
- The opportunity to be a leader, move quickly, and have end-to-end ownership
- A team culture centered around appreciation, feedback, and growth-mindedness
- The opportunity to solve cutting-edge technical challenges. We avoid complacency and are always learning.
- The ability to work remotely from anywhere in the world and build your home office with a generous stipend
- Comprehensive benefits (Health, Dental, and Vision)
- Unlimited paid time off and health & wellness stipend each month
- Competitive compensation with stock options
- A brand new computer of your choice