Your work as a Senior Frontend Engineer will empower thousands of Appcues customers to improve their product’s usability and adoption for millions of end-users without writing any code. The Appcues UX is made up of two major React applications. First, the Appcues Flow Builder Chrome extension allows customers to click to create beautiful in-app experiences such as onboarding guides, tips, announcements, and surveys. Second, Appcues Studio enables customers to segment, personalize, target, and analyze these experiences across their entire user base. Our world-class customers, such as Amplitude, Lyft, and Segment, embed Appcues in their products to deliver high-quality experiences to millions of end-users. Fun fact: Chris Coyier uses Appcues for Codepen’s new user onboarding!
Tools we use
- Our apps are built in React with styled-components Redux and redux-saga while integrating with internal and third party APIs.
- We test with Jest, Cypress, and Rainforest, and document our components in Storybook. We collaborate with Github, Slack, Zoom, Clubhouse, Figma, and Chromatic.
- Every engineer is given ample opportunity to learn the Appcues product and codebase, with continual opportunities to demonstrate your abilities.
About the role
- The engineering team currently has about 25 people across five small teams. We are looking to hire a Senior frontend engineer for one of our empowered product experience teams, which today each have 3-5 engineers, a designer, a QA engineer, and a product manager.
- On a typical day, you may collaborate on a design, architect a solution, break down an epic, implement a feature, collaborate on a new frontend practice, or mentor another engineer.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack, and are committed to remote, agile development. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review. We use CI pipelines to deploy to production and regularly improve them to deliver higher quality software faster.
- You’ll collaborate with product, customer success, technical support, and sales to translate customer needs into working code and a delightful UX.
- You will be involved in all development stages, including discovery and user-testing of new features and products.
- You are a skilled engineer who has taken the lead around an individual story or a large epic. You take pride in the code you create and strive to produce high quality, accessible, and performant user experiences.
- You strive to design modular frontend architectures. You consider the task at hand while also recognizing the impact it might have on the larger system as a whole.
- You have experience with unit and integration testing. You believe in testing your work and seek to automate your testing whenever possible.
- You are empathetic and desire to work on a well-functioning and communicative team. You set a high bar for yourself and engage with and support your team to be the best that they can be.
- You understand the importance of collaborating with and helping your fellow engineers, product managers and others to deliver customer value.
- You can comfortably work 9-5 Eastern Time. While we are a 100% remote-1st company and you can work from anywhere, we require 8 hours overlap to collaborate effectively with the rest of our team members who work these hours.
100% remote – We don’t have an office so all of our employees learn and collaborate in the same way using remote work practices. This won’t change post-COVID as we are committed to being 100% remote for the long-term. We work in Slack, Zoom, and a collection of modern collaboration tools. We have inclusive remote events and, after COVID times, will get together twice a year for a fun off-site retreat.
Well-being – You’ll have solid health, dental, and vision plans; access to 401k, and a generous maternity and paternity leave.
Fair pay – Each role has a defined salary band, bands and salaries are audited on a regular basis to help maintain fairness and market value
Home office and tech budget – Besides paying for your work computer (Mac or PC), we offer a one-time $1000 home office stipend and an additional $500 annual budget for extra work-related technology.
Coworking space, on us – Home office not cutting it? We’ll reimburse your monthly coworking fees.
Equity – We want everyone invested in our success. We grant every employee equity in the company.
Transparency and collaboration – We foster team alignment with meetings of all shapes and sizes—a monthly all-hands meeting called FirstThurs, weekly team lunches, and Lunch & Learns., and an annual learning stipend.
Unlimited vacation – We believe time away to reflect and explore makes us all more productive, so we expect each employee to take a minimum of ten days of vacation per year. Employees based in the USA also take off all US federal holidays. Employees residing in other countries can choose to follow their local national holidays or US federal holidays.