The Senior Counsel, Agreements will serve as a dedicated subject matter expert on all things pertaining to agreements. More than just a lawyer, you’ll be both an indispensable resource and a visionary. Partnering closely with the Product organization, you possess a strong business sense and deep legal acumen to serve as a core architect of DocuSign’s agreement management solutions. You’ll craft insightful agreement schemas, define the legal persona in clear, compelling language, and champion its voice throughout the product development cycle. Your deep understanding of the role that agreements play in diverse industries – from finance to real estate – will fuel your ability to translate customer needs into powerful product features.
You will serve the vital role of decoding for non-legal professionals agreement drafting, negotiation, and interpretation, as well as cross-functional, organizational dependencies. You will assist DocuSign in synthesizing customer feedback to directly influence how we build solutions that address the business-critical needs of our customers.
This position is an individual contributor role reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, Product & Technology.
- Partner with the Product team to build standards that will form the foundation upon which DocuSign’s agreement management solutions are built
- Be the strategic thought leader in defining the “legal persona” in a relevant and understandable format
- Work with our customers every day to understand their agreement management needs and then help translate those needs into requirements that go into building our services
- Serve as an expert on agreements across a number of verticals, including financial services, health care, real estate and IT industries
- Conduct industry analysis to gather data on agreements and agreement types across a spectrum of industries and verticals
- Translate complex legal processes into intuitive and efficient product features
- Supervise lawyers and other legal professionals in agreement data labeling initiatives supporting product development
- Educate and train our Product organization on a wide spectrum of agreements and how they work
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Engineering, Design, and Legal experts, to drive the development of innovative and user-friendly legal technology solutions
- Define and prioritize features, functionalities, and user experience based on customer needs and market trends
- Provide legal guidance to product managers, engineers and other key collaborators on agreement-specific issues related to DocuSign’s services
Remote:Employee is not required to be in or near an office frequentlyand works from a designated remote work location for the majority of thetime.
Positions at DocuSign are assigned a job designation of either In Office, Hybrid or Remote and are specific to the role/job. Preferred job designations are not guaranteed when changing positions within DocuSign. DocuSign reserves the right to change a position’s job designation depending on business needs and as permitted by local law.
What you bring
- 8+ years of relevant experience as a practicing attorney counseling senior clients and negotiating complex commercial relationships
- Demonstrated experience drafting and negotiating a variety of agreement types including both procurement and sales side agreements
- Experience in a legal technology software company
- Experience in contract lifecycle management or legal, workflow or agreement management
- Experience in contract templatization, automation, and theory across a range of industries
- Admitted to practice and in good standing with a U.S. state bar (or eligible for in-house counsel registration in California or Washington, as applicable)
- Experience working with Product and Engineering teams
- Impeccable communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in legal technology and a belief in its ability to transform industries, including the legal profession
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative team
- Proactive and able to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and handle multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strong working relationships with a variety of internal clients with a particular focus on working with product and engineering teams
- Excellent analytic and communication skills, with ability to act on best information available, not wait for absolute certainty, and effectively navigate ambiguity
- Alignment with DocuSign’s mission to help the world agree better
- Located in Chicago, IL, San Francisco, CA, Seattle, WA, or, potentially, in another major U.S. city
Based on applicable legislation, the below details pay ranges in the following locations:
California: $146,800 – $235,025 base salary
Illinois and Colorado: $139,800 – $197,400 base salary
Washington and New York (including NYC metro area): $139,800 – $207,325 base salary
This role is also eligible for bonus, equity and