Busy people crave anything that makes things easier, that moves work from the foreground to the background, that can operate without our attention so we can focus on more important things. At Upside, we serve business travelers who are the busiest of the busy and the most stressed out of the stressed. They are counted on to deliver results that grow their companies and their careers – new clients, new vendors, new relationships, new opportunities. And, everytime they travel for work they sacrifice precious personal and family time. That’s why we never forget our customers are real people with families and feelings and things to get done.
We love to solve problems, and we have an upbeat view of the future. We are a diverse team of fiercely intelligent people who are great at what they do and great at doing it with others. Our goal is to transform the experience of buying travel and what it’s like to be on a business trip for travelers, travel managers, and companies. If you love building and selling things that give users the gift of more time to spend on what’s important to them, then Upside is the place for you.
- You embody our engineering culture of craftsmanship and collaboration.
- You understand the tradeoffs between different libraries, frameworks, techniques, or coding approaches and you can teach others.
- You understand industry best practices around architecture and have a long term vision for how a system should change or improve over time.
- You understand and plan for the operational profile of the systems, you design and implement observability, fault tolerance, and scalability.
- You pride yourself on writing reusable, testable and efficient code.
- You enjoy creating unconventional solutions to the most challenging requirements.
- You understand that great engineering teams are built on mutual trust and respect, just as much as the code.
- You have five or more years of relevant experience, including experience as a senior engineer or team lead with mentoring responsibilities.
ABOUT THE GIG
- You’ll work closely with engineering leadership to design and build system components that deliver meaningful outcomes to our customers.
- Our µservices are built in Node, Go, and Python. We believe in choosing the right tool and adopting new technologies/frameworks to get the job done.
- We have a strong DevOps culture that leverages Terraform so our infrastructure is code. You’ll be empowered to try new cloud technologies and supported with a complete CI/CD pipeline.
- Our frontend is built in React and leverages Material UI as the foundation of our design system. Familiarity with frontend best practices is a bonus but not required.
We are positive, passionate, and always pushing to be better. Our team is a hodgepodge of challenge seekers, travel gurus, and startup junkies who see the big picture.
ABOUT ENGINEERING AT UPSIDE
We love to ship. We’re completely on the CI/CD train, shipping code multiple times a day. We’ve developed a clustered container environment in AWS using Docker and Kubernetes to manage dozens of microservices written primarily in Node, Python, and Go. Our web frontend is written in React and we’re building native iOS and Android apps that take full advantage of the powerful platforms they run on. View our blog at: engineering.upside.com
YOU WANT TO TALK TO US IF…
You think you’re up for the challenge, even if your experience doesn’t perfectly line up.
You are motivated by disrupting the norm.
Your entrepreneurial spirit drives your bias for action.
WHAT WE OFFE
Competitive salary + equity
Full health, vision, and dental coverage
Open paid time off
Upside Travel is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.