Location: Remote, mainly UK based, as travel to our London hub will be required once a month.
As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious individuals to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every month by 2023.
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. As such, synchronized data in realtime is now business critical for many organisations. Yet, at the same time, organizations don’t have the in-house capabilities nor the time to do this efficiently at scale. That’s where Ably comes in.
We provide a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 250 million devices across 80 countries each month. Organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg, HubSpot, and Hopin depend on Ably’s platform to offload the growing complexity of business-critical realtime data synchronization at global scale.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help.
In this role
At Ably we believe work should flex around life. We see remote-first working and written-first communication as fundamental to achieving a truly flexible yet high-performing culture as we scale from 65 Ablyans to 200 in the next 18 months and beyond.
We’re looking for a Remote Communications Manager to help us deliberately design, implement, and scale a flexible remote-first, written-first culture that drives individual and team productivity across Ably. You’ll make sure every individual and team at Ably has convenient access to the information they need to stay current, make decisions, collaborate with others, and do their job effectively. You’ll design and maintain company-wide norms for our remote-first, written-first communication strategy, tools, and processes. You’ll work closely with Ably’s founders, people team (specifically the Workplace Experience Manager), and other Ablyans to help drive organizational behavior change and organization-wide adoption of our written-first culture.
We’re not completely abandoning physical locations. We believe in-person collaboration and communication are core drivers of new ideas and personal growth. Yet we recognize this needs to happen only when it adds true value. Our London Hub (and soon to be USA Hub) is designed with infrequent, in-person collaboration in mind and as a supporting, rather than driving, element of a remote-first, written-first culture.
So this role isn’t about recreating the experience of working in the same building together. We want to create something much better. We want our remote-first, written-first culture to be a significant competitive advantage when it comes to recruiting, retention, and execution as a company. We’re inspired by GitLab’s extensive experience and documentation about a remote-first, written-first culture.
The Remote Communication Manager will have an enormous impact on the future of Ably. Our ideal candidate is passionate about developing practical solutions to support effective individual and team work at a rapidly growing, remote-first company. They’ll have the urge to document everything in a discoverable way, be an excellent problem solver and clear strategic thinker, and bring outstanding interpersonal skills to collaborative cross-functional working. You will be the biggest evangelist for our written-first way of working, guiding and influencing every single Ablyan as you drive adoption.
Day to day, you will:
- Collaborate closely with our Workplace Experience Manager to help build a remote environment where we can still leverage the informal interactions and brainstorming that drive innovation
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to create a high performance, highly productive remote working culture by developing remote-first, written-first operating principles, norms, and systems for the company – and then driving adoption of them
- Evaluate current internal communications and collaboration processes and identify gaps, then help to fill those gaps
- Develop a roadmap for improving our internal communication strategy, tools, and processes
- Build relationships with key communication stakeholders across the company and build support across the organization for Ably’s vision of work
- Moderate and manage the flow of cross-company information to minimize noise and promote organizational consistency and productivity
- Support company and department-wide communication and behavior change management
It would be great if you have:
- Prior experience working remotely for a company
- Significant professional experience working in related roles (e.g. people/culture operations, office operations, workplace services, employee communications, event management)
- You’re a culture champion and evangelist. You know how to dig into a company culture, identify key cultural stakeholders, and champion a vision for communication that fits into a cohesive employee experience.
- You build trust with employees and leaders. You know how to develop relationships and influence employees from different backgrounds, functions, and levels. They see you as someone working for the good of those around you in a fair and unbiased way.
- You know communication technology. You have experience developing communication strategies, tools, and processes. You have experience with Slack, wikis, blogs, and other information technology.
- You love owning complex projects. You have experience clarifying project objectives, conducting research, synthesizing the results, and building a systematic solution. You know how to bring others in the company along with your vision.
- You excel at writing. You have exceptional written communication skills and have built a wide variety of engaging textual content. You know how to make complex topics seem simple. You get results quickly. You excel in execution, establishing priorities, and meeting swift deadlines in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. You are organized, adaptable, and self-sufficient in a remote work environment.
It would be nice if you have:
- Experience creating and managing company-wide events and programs
- Experience setting policies for a remote workforce
- Experience working at a fast-paced, high growth technology company
- Experience working on projects with high-degree of ambiguity
- Demonstrated history of developing new initiatives and gaining consensus with executive-level stakeholder