We are looking for a UX Research Manager to lead research strategy for Etsy’s Ads team.
As the UX Research Manager you will be responsible for leading a group of UX Researchers that partner with teams of product managers, designers, analysts, and engineers as they plan, test and refine great experiences for our buyers and sellers. Do you find joy in delivering insights that drive decisions for our business? If so, this could be the perfect match.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Sr. Manager, Research, and the base salary range will be 149,000.00 – 193,000.00 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. This role requires your presence in Etsy’s Brooklyn office in an in-person or flex capacity. Candidates living within commutable distance of the Brooklyn Hub, may be the first to be considered. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
The Research team at Etsy helps the company understand our community of buyers and sellers and ensures they’re central to our decision making. Our insights are part of the vernacular at Etsy and play a key role in building confidence around product decisions and our business strategy.
Etsy Ads is used by our smallest and largest sellers to grow their businesses and it is one of Etsy’s major revenue streams. You will collaborate with the Ads product teams and leadership to grow the platform and ensure that advertising on Etsy continues to be a great investment for our sellers. The work of the Ads team spans the end-to-end experience on Etsy.com and the Etsy app, from building tools for our sellers, ensuring high quality shopping experiences, and everything in-between.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Lead a team of 2+ UX researchers, mentoring them on UX methods, prioritization and career development
- Guide researchers on study design and wide range of generative and evaluative methods, including mixed-methods planning with quant and market researchers
- Apply agile research techniques and explore new ways to deliver rich insights in a fast paced environment
- Collaborate and communicate in a way that amplifies the voice of our customers, ensuring that the teams’ insights are embedded and acted upon
- Partner with peer managers on other teams or in other departments—such as Design, Product Management, Engineering, and Analytics
- Run your own projects when the need arises
- Partner with other research managers to grow and develop the research team via our toolkit, talent, and socialization techniques
- Recruit and hire outstanding researchers and facilitate their onboarding experience
- Directly contribute to our Research team’s strategy and focus areas
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- 5+ years experience in applied product or user research, and has led research before in a growing company – ideally in a B2C or e-commerce company.
- 2+ years previous research management experience developing and motivating an impactful UX research team, and enjoy mentoring others on how to progress in their careers
- You lead by example, and have a track record of influencing product decision-making with inspirational, action-orientated and high quality research
- You care deeply about understanding customer needs and delivering the best experience for them
- You balance rigor and speed-to-learning, and guide your teams on research plans and methodologies that do the same
- You’re confident using creative socialization techniques
- You triangulate data, and are able to spot trends and opportunities through synthesizing various qualitative and quantitative inputs
- You are a connector and have a high comfort level in building relationships and collaborating with internal and external relationships with key partners (Product, Marketing, Legal, Ops, etc.)
- Previous experience with conducting Ads research preferred