Ethos is looking for an experienced actuary to join our team. You will be partnering closely with our actuarial, underwriting and product teams to identify opportunities to fine-tune and innovate our product, underwriting and pricing solutions. You will also work with other teams to identify and pursue new product and distribution opportunities. You will assist in identification of ideal industry partners and push them to accelerate the evolution of our product mix and risk practices to enable optimal customer experience.
We are looking for someone who is excited by the prospect of doing the impossible and scaling a new insurance model at extraordinary speed. The right candidate will have expertise in life insurance products, underwriting and pricing; experience working with varied stakeholders internally and externally; and be able to think differently to create value and capitalize on unrealized opportunities in the market. This is a unique opportunity to drive the offerings for a brand that is quickly gaining a lot of national and global attention.
If this sounds like a match for you and what you are up to, please apply. We’d love to hear from you!
- Are self-motivated and persistent to seek answers in a fast-paced startup environment
- Have a bias for action and are comfortable managing internal and external relationships to achieve the same
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills, including understanding stakeholder needs and communicating credibly and effectively to your audience
- Are detail-oriented and have strong mathematical foundations
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Incumbent will be a member of a small team with the following responsibilities. Specific duties will be assigned among team members based on priority, capacity and capability.
- Lead the development and monitoring of actuarial assumptions and performance metrics
- Perform lapse and mortality experience studies at a granular, multivariate level
- Develop leading edge actuarial, data science and automation techniques to speed analysis and enhance understanding
- Determine actuarial assumptions for the ASC606 balance sheet and determine methods to supply additional granularity for other use cases as appropriate
- Partner with stakeholders to deploy actuarial assumptions for use in financial projections, marketing optimization, and inforce management
- Collaborate with Data Engineering and Data Analytics teams to achieve actuarial data objectives
- Document assumption development to meet auditor and actuarial standards
- Partner with accounting and analytics to deliver detailed earnings analysis
- Continuously innovate in risk selection and pricing
- Identify opportunities to reduce lapses and forecast the impact of potential sales funnel and administrative changes
- Identify opportunities to achieve mortality objectives within and across products
- Lead the calculation of mortality misclassification metrics ensuring a strong traceability to the sales funnel, fraud monitoring and underwriting data
- Evaluate new and alternative sources of underwriting data that improve the customer journey, provide competitive risk pricing and increase the value of new business for the enterprise
- Provide actuarial / data science underwriting insights to support the continuous improvement of underwriting guidelines and the customer journey
- Deliver proprietary predictive analytics and other statistical techniques to augment traditional underwriting partnering with data science and vendors
- Create tailored risk selection approaches for different markets
- Increase availability, usability and scale of risk data
- Champion rich and model ready data capture within Ethos
- Source third party and industry data sets that can be used for direct and inferential analysis
- Maintain leading knowledge on industry lapse, mortality and underwriting trends
- Support other research for the Insurance department as needed
Skills & Background:
- BS/BA in Mathematics, Statistics, or similar quantitative field
- FSA or rising ASA with advanced statistical degree
- Expertise in SQL, R and data visualization tools
- Deep understanding of life insurance products, underwriting and pricing
- Demonstrated research capabilities coupled with effective documentation
- Excellent written and oral communication and data visualization skills, including understanding stakeholder needs and communicating effectively to your audience
The US national base salary range for this full-time position is $163,000 – $272,000.