Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
We’re looking to hire a Principal Engineer to lead and develop our data platform capabilities. In this role you will act as the lead individual contributor, while also managing our onshore and offshore engineering talent. The Data Engineering team collaborates closely with product, data science and machine learning teams to design, build, and scale high leverage datasets that enable analytics, and experimentation. As a Data Engineering leader, you will establish and drive a vision for data architecture and data quality across multiple company verticals. If you are interested in working with an impressive team of Data pros who collaborate and challenge each other, and want to solve interesting problems to propel the company’s growth, apply now!
What you’ll be doing
- Develop and execute a roadmap to build and optimize foundational datasets to ensure delivery of high-quality ergonomic data across multiple company verticals
- Develop and execute a roadmap to establish data quality as a given, at scale
- Oversee the design, development, and maintenance of data pipelines and ETL processes to ensure the efficient and reliable movement of data from various sources to the data warehouse or other target systems
- Partner with data platform teams to identify opportunities to improve infrastructure and influence their roadmaps accordingly
- Inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the data organization
- Establish a collaborative culture that thrives on innovation and impact
You’ll bring the following required experiences and skills
- 8+ years experience in data engineering or data architecture
- 8+ years of experience in developing robust data models based off of structured and unstructured sources at massive scale
- 2+ years experience as a manager, who successfully managed multiple individual contributors
- Extensive experience with big data platforms (Apache Spark, Presto, Amazon Glue, Amazon EMR), data warehouses (Amazon Redshift, Snowflake), container management systems (Kubernetes, Amazon ECS), modern data workflows (Apache Airflow), and data visualization platforms (Tableau, Looker)
- Bonus – Prior experience with AI/ML tools (Amazon Sagemaker, Azure ML Studio, Tecton) is a plus, as you will be partnering closely with the data science and ML engineering teams
- Bonus – Prior experience with streaming data ingestion and analytics (Amazon Kinesis, Apache Kafka)
- An ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways and navigate environments where problems are not well-defined (and evolve quickly)
- Experience leveraging your excellent communication skills to thrive in areas where problems are not well-defined and evolve quickly
- Experience proactively identifying opportunities to improve ETL and dashboard performance and cost
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
We are currently not accepting applicants for this role from CA, CO, WA, IL, or NY.