I’m Sam Currie, Head of Platform Operations Engineering. My software engineering career started in the energy industry; an extremely data-heavy environment. My career transitioned into other types of software development thereafter, but that core experience working with large data sets was a natural fit for Flatfile’s goals. I joined Flatfile just over four years ago, and in that time we’ve built an incredible Engineering team with a wide array of experiences; this has allowed us to build truly innovative products that have not existed before.
Currently, I’m helping to lead our efforts in building a robust and dynamic Infrastructure Engineering team. The team philosophy revolves around “Platform Operations” – we create, deploy and support the interfaces and key technologies that the application engineering and success teams use to create the Flatfile Platform.
I am thrilled about the opportunity to welcome a new Platform Ops Engineer to our team. This role is integral to our aggressive roadmap, which includes enhancing self-service capabilities for our engineering team and maintaining the platform stability. You’ll play a crucial role in our upcoming platform integrations, directly impacting our new product offerings and our capacity to serve enterprise customers.
This role will allow you to carve your niche in an area of our architecture that excites you most. As part of our team, you’ll have the autonomy to develop deep expertise and become a recognized authority in your domain, significantly impacting the technological advancements at Flatfile.
As Flatfile’s Platform Ops Engineer, you’ll enhance our engineering team’s capabilities with automation and self-serve tooling. Your role is crucial for deploying and maintaining stable regional environments and supporting self-hosted deployments.
Your day-to-day will certainly vary, but the continuous undercurrents involve collaborating with our Platform Operations and Application Engineers and interacting with our Customer Success teams. One day you’ll be troubleshooting customer issues; the next, managing database and DevOps operations.
In due time, you’ll gain autonomy over a segment of our architecture, becoming a primary resource for the engineering team in your domain. You’ll develop expertise in your chosen area, becoming an authority figure in that domain, and shaping Flatfile’s technological future.
You’ll collaborate closely with me, the rest of the Platform Operations Team, and our Application Engineers. In addition, you’ll frequently interact with our Customer Success team, particularly in regional and self-hosting initiatives.
Your main responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain self-serve observability and CI/CD tooling.
- Lead in deploying and maintaining regional environments.
- Spearhead the deployment of self-hosted environments.
- Manage incident response effectively.
- Innovate with new processes and integrations with emerging infrastructure technologies.
- Address varied responsibilities ranging from TypeScript engineering to cloud networking.
- Advocate and educate team members on best practices and the ever-changing landscape.
If this sounds like a fun challenge, let’s define the Data Exchange category together!
Consider applying if:
- 5+ years of experience in a strongly typed tech language (Typescript, Rust, Go)
- Minimum 2+ years of experience with cloud infrastructure ecosystems (AWS, GCP) and common CI/CD tooling (GitHub Actions, Jenkins, Gitlab)
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker or ContainerD
- Working knowledge in container orchestration technologies (like Kubernetes)
- Have knowledge of current industry best practices including collaborative development, revision control, automation, and the previously listed technologies
While many Engineering roles are similar, Flatfile’s Engineering roles are unique. With that in mind, you should pass on applying if:
- You prefer working independently on a problem than as a team toward a solution. This is a service-oriented role, so you’ll need to lean on others’ experiences to create solutions to their problems.
- You don’t enjoy ambiguity. You’re going to have to find out the answers for yourself here at Flatfile. Sometimes, this means Slacking teammates; other times it’s researching a brand new topic. While having all of the necessary information at your fingertips would be ideal, oftentimes you’re going to have to work through uncertainty to uncover the information you need to unblock yourself.
- Frequent context switching and dynamic work environments are challenging for you. As mentioned, the day-to-day differs drastically, and sometimes, your mornings and afternoons will be completely different. You’ll be expected to context switch seamlessly as new issues arise.
Reasons you’ll love working here
🫂 Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance for you and your dependents
🏦 401k match. 100% matching for up to 3% and a 50% match for the next 2%
💸 Equity options for all full-time employees
🏠 100% remote work environment
🏖️ Flexible paid time off, with a recommended minimum of 3 weeks
🎨 $10,000 home office makeover with personal access to an interior designer
$150 per month toward cell phone and wifi
💻 The best tools to do your work, including a Mac laptop and top-of-the-line hardware.
🏥 24/7 access to a Health Advocate & free annual membership to One Medical
👶 12 weeks of paid family leave