Flatiron School is seeking a Part Time Career Coach to join our team! At Flatiron School, we’re changing education. For more than ten years, we’ve been teaching passionate, creative people how to launch careers in tech, and currently offer programs in Software Engineering, Product Design, Data Science, and Cybersecurity.
We know that getting a new job can be challenging, so our Career Services team supports our learners each step of the way. As a Career Coach, you will coach graduates one-on-one over video chat to set career goals, hold them accountable to weekly job-seeking activities, and provide guidance on the job search process, including important job search topics like networking and technical interviewing best practices. That’s how we support the school’s overall job placement rate. This position is Part Time, up to 29 hours per week.
- Conduct one-on-one coaching sessions and check-in calls to help motivate, hold students accountable and coach them through obstacles to promote their success in their job search.
- Manage a roster of active job seekers, diligently maintaining communication, and, holding each student accountable to the Terms of Service they sign upon enrollment.
- Develop subject matter expertise with regard to technical career transition (e.g., software engineering or cybersecurity) and Flatiron School programs.
- Conduct detailed resume and LinkedIn reviews, as well as mock cultural interviews, providing clear and actionable feedback.
- Advise students on the job search process, answer questions, and equip them with the tools and resources needed to land a fulfilling job in their chosen discipline.
- Partner with students to help them leverage their existing networks, and build new relationships to source job opportunities, and to manage a pipeline of opportunities from “identification” (outreach or application) to “close” (job offer).
- Build rapport with your assigned students that allows for you to give direct and actionable feedback (verbally and in writing).
- Model professionalism and effective job-seeking skills like honoring commitments, self-motivation, clear communication, and asking thoughtful questions.
- Identify when an escalation or intervention may be necessary, and be available to counsel students who have sudden job search needs around interviews or job offers or need a motivational boost during the job search.
- 5+ years of work experience, which may include a background in career coaching, workforce development, human resources, social work, cognitive-behavioral therapy, or another field that has directly supported adults facing career transitions
- Experience supporting software engineering or IT/cybersecurity clients is highly preferred
- Experience supporting job seekers with job tracking tools and well-versed in an AI-enabled job search (e.g., Huntr, Teal, Trello, GPT-5 supported tools and chatbots like ChatGPT)
- Experience using virtual collaboration tools (e.g., Calendly, Loom, Mural/Miro, Notion)
- Prior experience in technical recruitment is preferred
- A positive attitude and a natural motivator
- Excited to engage with our Flatiron School Coaching Community including standing Monday availability for team meetings from 12-1pm ET
- A skilled and empathetic listener with experience in the art of asking effective questions
- The ability to build trust and connection quickly, and has an intrinsic empathy for the student experience
- Strong familiarity with navigating LinkedIn and experience with resume review and critique
- A good grasp on navigating Google Sheets and a strong attention to detail, highly organized and a quick learner
- Comfortable with ambiguity and new or changing processes, and has demonstrated good judgment around when to make a decision and when to escalate or ask for help