We are looking for a Paralegal, Real Estate to join our dynamic, friendly and innovative Legal team. This position will report directly to the Counsel, Real Estate and will have access and regular communications with all functional teams across the organization, including Development, Project Finance, Construction, Operations and Environmental/Permitting.
Responsibilities and Duties
- As part of the in-house real estate legal team, assist attorneys and other members of the company with document management, preparation of closing binders, process management, signature tracking, communications with title companies and other third parties, and other related tasks in connection with purchase and sale, ground lease, financing and other real estate transactions.
- Preliminary review and management of title commitments, title proformas, title policies and surveys, to prepare for review by attorneys and land team.
- Ensure adherence to contact templates and documentation / negotiation principles where possible and help the commercial and legal teams in identifying and mitigating key contractual risks.
- Prepare and review day-to-day real estate documents such as title affidavits, closing documents, estoppels, and letters of intent, with attorney supervision.
- Support the real estate legal team by handling requests for information or documentation.
- Assist real estate legal team with transaction closings.
- Assist with legal research as requested.
- Assist corporate paralegals and project finance paralegals as assigned with general paralegal tasks, including updating documents, tracking comments, and managing internal legal processes.
- Implement process improvements for real estate transactions, including leveraging technology to more efficiently perform day to day tasks.
- Coordinate with title companies and external counsel to support real estate transactions and contract negotiations.
- Assist with handling and mailing of original documents, including occasional trips to mailing centers (FedEx, USPS, UPS).
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Ability to work during all Pacific Coast working hours.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.
- Familiarity with various transactional real estate processes, including title company closings, recording, notarization, etc.
- Exposure to land management software preferred, but not required.
- Exposure to real estate finance transactions preferred, but not required.
- Strong proofreading and communication skills.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment working on more than one project at a time.
- Ability to handle self under pressure, work independently and follow through on tasks to completion in a timely manner.
*A note on qualifications: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
- Mostly sedentary work; using standard office equipment including: a computer, keyboard, and telephone.
- Position requires some travel for company-wide meetups: ~5 weeks total through a calendar year.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary: $80,000- $100,000 base salary with 50% annual target bonus
- Medical, dental, and vision plan options with 100% premium coverage for the employee
- 3% non-elective employer contribution to 401k
- Unlimited PTO, plus two company-wide vacation weeks (Fourth of July & end of year)
- Parental leave up to 12 weeks fully paid with an additional 6 weeks paid leave for birth parents
- Mental health and behavioral coaching through Ginger
- Family planning and new parent support through Maven
- New hire tech package (laptop, monitor, docking station, webcam, headphones, etc) and office furniture (desk & chair)