Forbes is growing its News Desk. The ideal candidate should be a news obsessive with a passion for thinking quickly and creatively off breaking news and emerging news trends and topic areas. The challenge for the desk is to quickly distill big news events down to their essence, in crystal-clear prose and and with proper context, for the Forbes Topline story format, adding supplemental reporting when possible. Top candidates are generalists who can write about anything, though specific area expertise specific to Forbes (business, finance, entrepreneurship, technology) a plus.
This is a contract position with potential for full time employment.
- Jump on breaking and major news stories that make sense for a general Forbes audience, quickly turning around articles with sharp, story-advancing approaches and angles.
- Identify fresh and interesting stories that have not already been widely shared.
- Brainstorm original approaches off the news.
- Write multiple posts on any given topic every day.
- Clearly communicate across Forbes’ multiple editorial departments and contributors.
- Write accurate, lively and concise posts.
- Track down sources quickly for interviews when necessary.
- Strong headline writing skills, and comfort with any/all social media platforms.
- Strong interest in and basic knowledge of business news and financial coverage.
- 3+ years’ experience as a full-time writer or editor.
- Proven ability at writing quickly and accurately.
- Outstanding writing, grammar and editing abilities.
- An instinct and enthusiasm for identifying newsworthy, as well as shareable, stories that resonate with the target audience
- Understanding of the latest content trends and technologies, including content management systems like Wordpress, Social Media and SEO best practices
Hourly Rate Range: $28.85 – $28.85