The Role: The Medical Billing Associate will support various functions of the Hazel Revenue Operations team, including securing real-time insurance benefits eligibility and coverage information for patients, following up on rejected/outstanding claims, and collaborating with third-party partners on data and clarification requests.
Role title: Medical Billing Associate
What You’ll Bring:
- Verifies detailed insurance benefits, medical necessity, and authorization/referral guidelines, consistently prioritizing and following the established verification process
- Read and interpret insurance Explanations of Benefits (EOB)/Remittance Advice (RA) with understanding and take appropriate steps to resolve issues.
- Verify all information obtained is correctly documented in the patient’s account, in the correct format.
- Communicate with insurance providers via phone and electronically via web portals to validate patient benefits, check authorization requirements, and review authorization status.Billing/General
- Review regular data feeds from third party billing partner and research patient insurance coverage and billing status using internal and external tools.
- Create and utilize spreadsheets and other tools to track visit statuses and contracting/credentialing data.
- Ensures compliance with all Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned within the scope of responsibility, including supporting other functions and teams within Revenue Operations.
What excites us:
- Passionate for our mission to transform healthcare for all children
- 2+ years experience in insurance verification with experience in Medicaid, Managed Medicaid and commercial payers across multiple states. Experience with California and Florida Medicaid strongly preferred.
- 1+ years or more experience with Google Suites (google sheets, google docs)
- 1+ years experience with Change Healthcare or other online eligibility healthcare tools
- 1+ years experience with claims adjudication/follow-up
- Experience navigating state Medicaid, Managed Medicaid, and commercial insurance portals
- Highly detail-oriented and comfortable with insurance, claims, and other data sources
- Ability to understand how job performance affects the outcomes of key performance indicators such as billing rates, denials, and write-offs.
- Self-motivated with excellent decision making and time management skills
- Ability to meet remote work expectations, including but not limited to active participation in virtual meetings and real-time communication via Slack
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, especially in a virtual work environment.
- 2+ years / Associate Degree, preferred
The compensation range for this role is $22.00-$26.00/hour with a 401k match, healthcare coverage, paid time off, and a broad range of other benefits. Peruse our benefits at Hazel Health Benefits.