The Market Intelligence Consultant role blends an understanding of key customer requirements, market trends, and technology innovations to analyze how different data management technologies attempt to address them.
You will be responsible for researching, interpreting and then creating competitive and market analysis recommendations to demonstrate the value of MongoDB products and services. Your target audience will be both developers and senior decision makers, supporting MongoDB account teams and partners in the sales cycle. This analysis is also essential in helping MongoDB shape our product strategy and roadmap, and to inform product positioning and messaging.
You will be a core part of an energetic and globally distributed team that reports to the Director of Market Intelligence. As a member of the team, you will have opportunities to help develop thought leadership and competitive differentiation that broadens your understanding of application development and data management. This insight will build your experience in the fastest growing sector of the technology industry. You will work in partnership with the product management and product marketing teams, in addition to our PR teams to brief industry analysts and journalists or conduct inquiries on topics of relevance.
Preferred location – Phoenix / Austin or remote in North America (Central Time Zone preferred).
- Research and Develop – Analyze customer requirements, the data and cloud market landscape, and competitive offerings to identify key points of MongoDB differentiation, working with technical functions for competitive tear-downs. You will infuse this analysis into product messaging, positioning, and planning.
- Content – Develop a range of collateral that fully articulates the value of MongoDB, translating technical capabilities into messages that resonate with diverse audiences – from mobile and application developers through to C-level business and technology decision makers.
- Sales enablement – Train our internal sales team and partners on database market dynamics and competitors, enabling them to qualify opportunities and influence required capabilities.
- External audiences – Engage directly with customers in support of sales cycles. Assist in RFP/RFI responses where needed. Drive awareness and desire of MongoDB by presenting at industry conferences, and assume the role of spokesperson to the press and analyst communities.
- Define – Share market intelligence with our Product Management, Engineering, and Executive leadership teams to help inform product strategy and roadmap.
- Responsive – track competitive trends, ensuring MongoDB is appropriately positioned in the marketplace. Rapidly develop responses to competitive announcements and breaking market news.
- ROI – Evaluate the ROI of content and develop plans for continuous improvement and refinement.
- Contribution towards revenue driving engagements and initiatives
- Maintaining MongoDB’s current high win rate against competitors
- Content effectiveness (sales adoption and win/loss metrics, SEO authority, page views, product registrations and downloads)
- Adoption of Market Intelligence content across the company
- Minimum of 8 years experience in technology product marketing, development or management roles that included competitive analysis, though other roles and relevant experience will be considered. Prior work or practical experience in the market and technology landscape in which MongoDB competes is expected
- Experience with enterprise architecture with a particular focus on scalable and highly available distributed systems
- An understanding of the data management landscape, including a broad range of data technologies e.g. RDBMS, document, and other noSQL such as key-value, time series, etc.
- Working knowledge of enterprise search technologies, such as Lucene, ElasticSearch, Solr, etc
- Capability to be hands-on for performance testing, or quick prototyping
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to lead with a point of view, producing stellar writing under tight deadlines
- Advanced Degree with proven background (i.e. Masters, Ph.D, or equivalent experience)