The Manager, Customer Service will manage, lead, and guide their teams to positive successful outcomes. They will drive overall team performance, building efficient and scalable processes and coordination with cross-functional teams to help drive innovation and automation. You will manage and develop Team Leads and will support the ‘day-to-day’ activities within the CS department. This role is responsible for growing and evolving the team as business opportunities and requirements develop, through process and people initiatives. In your leadership role, you will be expected to align and collaborate with direct and indirect team Leaders in all opportunities that will benefit Customer Service, including: ad hoc projects, strategic planning, people and organizational initiatives, and data and performance analytics.
How You’ll Do It
Create and measure team engagement and development opportunities.
- Support, mentor and coach as well as provide professional development for CS team leads. Provide continuous feedback and opportunities for career development.
- Work in partnership with the People team and Team Leads on creating alignment in performance improvement and coaching plans.
- Partners with WFM to identify CS hiring needs. Also partners with the Talent team to scale the CS team to align with company growth.
- Work through conflict management and team member needs with help and direction from the People team.
- Work collaboratively with the People Partner throughout the team member lifecycle, including, but not limited to hiring, onboarding, performance management, team member relations and offboarding.
Managing the day-to-day operations of CS team
- Responsible for production goals, performance measurement, process and efficiency improvement, feedback and goal setting.
- Partner with internal business groups leaders to drive improvements across all delivery processes, especially those that cause friction in the customer experience.
- Manage onboarding, ongoing, and offboarding needs of team members. Includes coordinating with others to achieve training strategy and plan and to identify areas necessary for training for team member success.
- Measure, track, and communicate team results as pertains to performance (KPIs), and other project milestones.
- Serves as a top level point of contact for CS issues, complaints, and escalations. Requires professional maturity, clear communication, customer empathy, and an owner attitude.
- Oversee and manage current Customer Support activities such as Quality Assurance, new hire accuracy tracking, agent knowledge base, and customer escalations.
- Partner with Legal and Compliance teams to resolve policy criticisms, and other compliance/regulatory activities.
Strategy and Process Improvement
- Serves as a top subject matter expert on CS processes for internal and cross-functional needs.
- Works with CS Leadership to identify opportunities and strategies to ensure the teams can achieve their goals in service of Pie’s overarching OKRs.
- Supports the creation of business cases and proposals for the advocacy of team requirements and business future needs.
- Collaborates on cross functional process improvement projects and teams as the advocate for CS.
The Right Stuff
- High School Diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience with some college coursework is preferred.
- 6+ years Customer Service or Success or equivalent experience is required.
- 2+ years in a Customer Service/Success leadership role, managing teams of Customer Service or Success reps is required.
- Prior experience in the insurance industry is highly preferred.
- Advanced communication (written, verbal and presentation) skills, to deliver complex information effectively and align people with the needs of the project/team. Present business obstacles and roadblocks along with business cases and proposals for data driven solutions.
- Advanced problem solving skills, to be able to manage complex situations with multiple layers, and resolve to solution anticipating needs now and into the future. Integrated thinking ability, analytical mindset to sort through information and identify trends and find scalable solutions.
- Advanced awareness of workflow, and project tradeoffs to make decisions based on needs now and into the future.
- Advanced leadership skills with experience leading large or technical teams through complex deliverables while managing a team of supervisors. Ability to set productivity and performance goals, make hiring and termination decisions, assist in headcount forecasting and planning, leverage talent towards creating efficiency and innovation.
- Strong experience and skills in G-Suite Tools, Slack, Trello, and advanced Pie Systems e.g.Stripe, Insurity, Corvel.
- Highly process oriented-demonstrated process improvement, building effective work processes, building reporting and metrics.
- Strong customer service/experience or success background, proven record of exceeding customer’s needs, anticipating their needs, managing escalated customer issues, staying calm and helping to serve customers.
- Highly efficient, strong ability in prioritization of own work, as well as communicating priorities to direct reports to ensure teams are meeting Customer Success objectives against set deadlines.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process.