We are seeking a lawyer to join our in-house legal team as Legal Counsel, Employment, providing legal support and advice on a wide range of employment law matters involving employees in Canada, USA, UK, and Europe.
Reporting to our Assistant General Counsel, you will be working closely with the Corporate Legal team, the HR team, and other stakeholders throughout our organization.
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada and the U.S., though some travel may be required from time to time.
What we’re looking for:
- 3 to 5 years’ experience practicing as an employment lawyer at a law firm or in-house (or a combination).
- A J.D. or LL.B. from an accredited law school and a license to practice law in your jurisdiction.
- Deep knowledge of US, Canadian and EU employment laws.
- Experience handling wrongful/unjust dismissal claims, severance/reasonable notice issues, human rights issues including accommodation, accessibility matters, short- and long-term disability leaves and benefits, performance management and discipline of employees, internal investigations, employee privacy, wage issues including sales incentives and overtime.
- Experience with employment contracts and executive compensation, pay equity and employment equity.
- Experience drafting corporate policies and other HR documents.
- Experience with employment issues arising from corporate transactions and reorganizations; and cross-border and international employment matters.
- Experience in labour arbitrations, and/or administrative tribunals would be considered an asset.
- Experience in a highly-distributed work environment with an ability to work with representatives from all parts and levels of the business, of all levels, and across multiple time zones.
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to match your tone to your audience and write plainly and concisely.
- Ability to work unsupervised, exercise independent judgment and discretion, and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent legal and analytical skills, with the ability to communicate and explain complex legal concepts in simple terms and provide practical, business-friendly guidance and actionable advice.
What you can expect:
- Collaborate with the HR team and other stakeholders to ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations.
- Conduct legal research, analyze complex legal issues, and provide clear and practical legal advice.
- Draft and review legal documents, including employment contracts, policies, and other related agreements.
- Stay updated on changes in employment laws and regulations and provide proactive advice to mitigate legal risks.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal clients and external stakeholders.
Please address your cover letter to Lyndsey and include a short description of your skills and experience, highlighting any other superpowers, legal or otherwise, that make you the right person for this opportunity. As part of your application, without breaching confidentiality, please tell us about the most difficult employment issue you’ve encountered, and how you dealt with it (or how you would have dealt with it if your client didn’t end up taking your advice). Please limit your answer to a few paragraphs, at maximum.
USA-based roles only: The Annual base salary for this role is between $152,000 USD and $206,000 USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.