Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up, re-imagining, and improving every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of amazing, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets–spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
And now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why:
- It’s working. We’re now in ten states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well backed & stable. We just closed our $40 M Series B fundraise and have years of cash runway in the bank. We’re backed by some of the top investors in the world–including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars. It’s outdated (before the initial product launch!) but still telegraphs the journey we’re on.
Openly is looking to hire their first in-house attorney. Your role is essential to our success as we look to grow our legal team. This role works in the General and Administrative Group and will report to our CFO. This is a great opportunity for someone who likes the challenge of building and optimizing processes. You will also be responsible for assessing our legal contracts process to improve speed of negotiations and reduce cost to Openly.
- Build a department from the ground-up
- Providing legal support and guidance on all aspects of agency contracts, reinsurance agreements
- Be Openly’s internal specialist and the go-to for all contracts related matters
- Filing and maintenance of insurance licenses, agency agreements, etc. ensuring compliance with regulations.
- Review of insurance-related agreements, such as general agency agreements, reinsurance agreements, policies, etc.
- Review of contractual agreements with vendors ensuring sound provisions
- Liaise with external counsel and other legal constituents in matters related to day-to-day operations or special projects that arise from time to time
- Partner with internal decision makers on contracts and ensure compliance
- Creation and maintenance of internal legal review, ensuring sound compliance and risk management practices
- A law degree (or equivalent) and at least 5+ years of experience working in a law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Insurance contracts experience preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, patience and empathy
- Thrives in a fast paced, dynamic startup environment and is adaptable in nature
- Legal Savviness. You must have experience in redlining and negotiating US corporate law agreements.
- Attention to detail. You must easily be able to spot mistakes, errors or oversights.
- Negotiation. Must be an excellent negotiator and able to understand and mitigate objections.
- Risk analysis. Must be able to quickly understand and calculate potential legal risks to Accredible.
- Organization. Must be extremely organized and able to handle many agreements at once.
- Communication. Must have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with both internal and external stakeholders.
Benefits & Perks:
- Remote first culture
- Competitive salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) company contributions, flexible spending accounts, and monthly remote stipend
- Fun, high-energy startup environment, remote workforce even before COVID restrictions
- Flexible PTO
- Training, coaching, and development with an eye towards upward growth and mobility within roles at a new, growing insurtech firm.
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.