Varo’s Data Science Team builds algorithms that make it easier for the right people to get access to funds, help protect customers from fraudsters, and transform the in-app banking experience with real-time recommendations. Unlike some organizations where data takes a support role, here at Varo data science is front and center. Since we are in hyper-growth mode, you will get to build data science systems from scratch from day one. We rely on advanced techniques in machine learning, cloud platforms, and big data and are primarily PhDs and ex-academics with a collegial work atmosphere. If you are interested in working with an impressive team of Data pros who collaborate and challenge each other and want to solve interesting problems to propel the company’s growth, apply now!
What you’ll be doing
- Develop production ML models to drive customer acquisition and engagement marketing
- Improve our understanding of customers through clustering, segmentation, and LTV models
- Design experiments that provide insights to the marketing and product teams as well as measure & optimize the online performance of machine learning models.
- Work with stakeholders throughout the marketing and product organization to identify opportunities for leveraging data to better drive business decisions
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the engineering team to improve our production pipeline and engineer new features and metrics
- Have the opportunity to mentor junior data scientists
You’ll bring the following required skills and experiences
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field that offers training in ML and/or causal inference – statistics, economics, biostatistics, etc.
- 6+ years of experience as a Data Scientist, Economist, or Statistician as an individual contributor, including relevant experience from your PhD research
- Experience applying a wide range of statistical techniques to large data sets, and understanding their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Experienced in using Python for analysis and modeling (pandas, numpy, scikit, scipy, statsmodels, matplotlib, etc.)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in marketing optimization is nice to have