Building a new mental healthcare system at Headway is only possible because of the scale and leverage that software can provide. The infrastructure engineering team at Headway is a small but mighty team building our AWS infrastructure, automated deploy processes, and developer experience that helps us deliver a best-in-class experience for our patients and therapists. As we look to grow over the coming year, we’re looking for someone to build the underlying infrastructure to support the growth of our data engineering as we continue to scale. In this new role, you’d report to our Head of Infrastructure and work closely with our Infrastructure, Data Engineering, and Software Engineering teams.
Principles that guide us:
- Focus on the mission: We view software as a means of effecting change in the world, not as an end unto itself. We write software to empower our patients and therapist to better solve the problems they’re facing.
- Ship small, learn fast: We are building new and novel products and believe that we learn what our users need by quickly shipping and iteration
- Everything is a product: Whether it’s our patient search experience or a developer productivity improvement, we treat everything we build at Headway as a product with end-users in mind.
- Optimize for trust: We believe that engineers should be continually learning. To learn effectively and to be productive, engineers must feel safe asking questions and discussing mistakes.
Tools we use:
- Languages: Python 3, TypeScript, Spark, Kafka
- Libraries: FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, React
- Datastores: Postgres, Redis
- Data processing: Spark, Kafka
- Infrastructure: AWS (Fargate, ECS, S3, and more)
- Monitoring: Datadog, PagerDuty
- Version control: Github
Who you are
We’re looking for engineers who have the ability to deal with ambiguity and learn new technologies and systems. Below are some additional experiences we think help engineers succeed at Headway.
Experience we’re seeking:
- 3+ years experience as an Infrastructure Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), DevOps, or Software Engineer with a focus on data infrastructure and data engineering.
- Have experience with databases and data processing technologies, such as Kafka, Postgres, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.
- Have cloud infrastructure experience (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Have a working knowledge of one or more high-level programming languages (Python, Java, Sala, etc.)
- Have a working knowledge of infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, Pulumi, AWS CDK, etc.)
- Can communicate well, both verbally and via documentation
- Have a track record of working well across teams and functions
- Bonus points if you:
- Have worked with monitoring and APM tools (Datadog, New Relic, etc.
- Have experience building robust data pipelines, ideally in Spark or PySpark
- Understanding of ETL/ELT best practices and technologies
- Have experience with data security and compliance, particularly in a regulated environment
- Have experience with Docker
- Are well-versed in shell scripting