We’re hiring a Head of Design to lead our design team! We’re excited about hiring a design leader who’s both an excellent consumer software product designer and people manager. This person will report directly to our CEO and will be a peer to leaders of Product and Engineering.
Our ideal candidate possess these five traits:
- Proven design excellence in consumer software. You have 10+ years of experience as a designer and design leader, including experience leading design for a consumer software product that serves millions of users. You’ve demonstrated the ability to navigate buy-in for major investments, and the conviction to pursue excellence in the face of competing priorities.
- Capable manager in rapidly changing environments. You’ve managed teams in rapidly changing, ambiguous, high stress environments that are most common in startups. You know how to tailor your leadership style to the seniority, experiences, and strengths of the individual.
- Operational excellence. You’re an expert in scaling design operations, including the evolution of mature design systems, design and engineering process, creative operations for marketing, and more. You deftly navigate tradeoffs between speed, quality, and cost. You know how different design disciplines fit together because you’ve worked with each of them in great detail.
- Detail orientation. You’ve a sharp eye and attention to detail that enables you to give constructive feedback on any design work happening across the organization. You, and your teams, have demonstrated rare impact on product quality and innovation.
- Insight driven. You’re fundamentally committed to rooting your work and definitions of excellence in the needs of our users, and the shape of our business. You constantly seek out new data, new research, and new understanding.
We’re strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from those with traditionally underrepresented backgrounds, and we particularly value the experiences of people with direct experience with the social safety net. To be considered for this role, a portfolio is required with application submission. If your portfolio is password protected, please include the password.
- An immediate opportunity to improve the daily experience of poverty in the United States for millions of families
- A get-stuff-done, fun, and caring culture
- A culture that deeply values design in all its forms – the founding story of Propel is rooted in dissatisfaction with the design of safety net services used by low-income Americans.
- A remote-first work environment with an office in Downtown Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco and Salt Lake City
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of similar startups in Tier 1 markets; salary is not scaled by location. The salary range for this position is $240,000 – $275,000, with a strong equity package and excellent benefits.