The Global Sourcing Manager will provide sourcing and manufacturing support for Backbone’s current and new product development efforts to the internal Backbone development team as well as external manufacturing partners. The person in this role will manage and improve our existing partners, identify new partners, and help map out the future mechanical commodity partner strategy with the goal of building a supply chain that can support the product roadmap and ensures a secure supply of material.
What You Will Do
- Work with product design, mechanical and electrical engineering, and quality to understand the requirements of the external manufacturing and supply chain partners. Implement strategies and supplier selection criteria that enable a supply chain that can meet the product roadmap requirements with a secure supply.
- Act as the responsible party for relationship management and performance measurement and improvement of suppliers
- Negotiate part costs and manage material supply for new product introduction and sustaining production
- Ensure all supply chain and manufacturing partners have the commercial agreements, resources, and capabilities in place to meet deadlines, quality and reliability targets for all NPI projects.
- Actively participate in the product development and design review process to assess for manufacturability and ensure delivery and cost commitments are met.
- Ensure smooth transition from NPI to mass production
- Ensure suppliers and CM’s meet quality and productivity targets for all products
- Work with marketing, finance, sourcing and supply planning to ensure proper supply chain capacity is in place to meet the ramp plan and forecast
- Support BOM tracking, cost reduction and yield improvement activities
- Work with Engineering and Quality teams to qualify new suppliers and CM’s
- Support Engineering, QA, and Returns team to drive the field failure analysis and reduce customer returns
Who You Are
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering (preferred) or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of in-house and outsourced consumer electronics quality/manufacturing experience
- 5+ years of experience working with Asia/International supply chains
- Extensive project management and partner relationship management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in contracts and contract negotiations, and contract strategy development and execution
- Demonstrated experience managing by influence, both with internal and external partners
- Experience improving supply chain and supplier performance, including the use of cost models and performance metrics in the contract manufacturing industry
- Strong working knowledge of materials and mechanical design principals for manufacturing
- Knowledge of mechanical, electro-mechanical fabrication, tools, assembly, and test operations and manufacturing processes for consumer electronics
- Demonstrate capability to collaborate cross-functionally with Engineering, Quality, Design, and Supply Chain teams
- Part cost analysis and P&L analysis with ownership of BOM cost, landed costs, and engineering and development costs