Location: Remote, mainly UK based, as travel to our London hub will be required once a month.
As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious engineers to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every month by 2023.
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Consumers expect realtime digital experiences as standard and synchronized data in realtime is business critical for many organisations. Yet, at the same time, organizations don’t have the in-house capabilities nor the time to do this efficiently at scale. That’s where Ably comes in.
We provide a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 250 million devices across 80 countries each month. Organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg, HubSpot, and Hopin depend on Ably’s platform to offload the growing complexity of business-critical realtime data synchronization at global scale.
But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help.
What we do
Ably’s engineering team is deeply technical, collectively bringing a wealth of experience and broad technology skills across infrastructure, security, distributed systems, and much more. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites and motivates us each day. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you’ll love working at Ably.
In this role
Ably is an engineering company at its heart. Our audience ranges from software engineers to CIOs and it’s our job to make sure the world knows about Ably.
You will be responsible for hands-on development and assisting the web engineering team to deliver our website, developer dashboards, and the next generation of front ends that our customers, developers like yourself, depend on.
Day to day, you will:
- Have a standup with your team to help everyone stay synchronized
- Work closely with your team members to deliver features, asynchronously and remote pairing
- Performing code reviews on pull requests to help the team ship quality software
- Work with people from across the business to develop features that are valuable to ourselves and our clients
- Identify room for improvement, in our process and our code
- Consider the big picture, and help ensure that our day to day work constantly moves us towards our longer term goals
It would be great if you have:
- Ruby. Two years professional experience using Ruby.
- Rails and web development. Two years professional experience with Rails development. Your focus will primarily be on the frontend, building both vanilla Rails views as well as ones augmented by frameworks.
- Architecting frontends. Experience with designing and implementing frontend architectures, like component libraries, SPA’s, and server-side rendered applications.
- Full-stack mindset. You’ve built full-stack applications with CI/CD, as well as understand and promote the importance of the latter.
- Testing strategies. You must have experience with writing automated tests for software with tools like Jest or Cypress.
- Component libraries. Experience building and/or working with a component library.
- Cross-functional team experience. You worked closely with designers and product managers in short, effective feedback loops.
- Good grasp of Agile, Kanban and SCRUM. Working with stakeholders to create and manage backlogs, working with the team to manage the delivery of work
It would be nice if you have:
- Experience delivering developer-focussed frontends
- Knowledge of realtime, event-driven and streaming protocols
- An interest in functional programming with Elm or ClojureScript
- Experience with mentoring less experienced developers