As a Front-end Engineer in Platform, you’ll help lead PagerDuty through a highly strategic transformation from a pure product to a platform. PagerDuty is transitioning from a set of products to a platform that consists of a set of configurable, flexible building blocks that can be leveraged to manage a variety of real-time work and real-time workflows. With that, we are increasing our engagement with partners integrating other tools with PagerDuty, consultants building bespoke solutions, and customers customizing the platform and creating deeper integrations to fit specific environments and specific workflows. Come help us kick off the new Platform group, which will consist of a new set of product development teams who are building the building blocks of the new PagerDuty Platform.
The Platform team is working closely with other product development teams internally who will leverage these building blocks to build new products. We’re also working closely with customers and partners to better understand their needs as it comes to platform flexibility and customizability; our larger, more sophisticated customers, in particular, are asking for a high level of customizability in terms of how they manage real-time work (such as alerts, incidents, post-mortems, security events, etc). Additionally, you will be working closely with Product and UX to create our design system and help deliver innovative product features.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Think long term and partner with our Co-Founder and Platform GM and our peers in product management to build out a long term vision for the PagerDuty Platform.
- Design and architect the set of flexible platform building blocks that will become the PagerDuty Platform.
- From day one, you’ll be designing, coding, testing and shipping frontend interfaces and libraries that ensure we deliver secure, highly reliable and scalable solutions to our customers.
- Since we own and operate what we build, you’ll collaborate closely with engineers across teams.
- You’ll be involved in mentoring and teaching frontend skills to other engineers at PagerDuty.
- Curating the frontend design system in a complex distributed system.
- Developing frontend architecture patterns that scale across the engineering organization and provide better user and developer experiences
- Writing unit and integrations tests
- Owning and shepherding projects that our team takes on
- Creating alignment among various stakeholders about a recommended technical direction
What You’ll Bring
- You have 5+ years experience building and managing web apps using a modern component based framework.
- Knowledge about core parts of frontend engineering (state management, performance, accessibility, styling, infrastructure)
- Empathy – you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others and facilitate these technical discussions to a successful outcome.
- Commitment to ensuring our team works sustainably and inclusively. Read more about PagerDuty’s commitment to diversity & inclusion.
- You have strong experience in designing and building REST APIs.
- Experience in some of the following: React, Elixir, Ruby on Rails, Kafka,
- Experience with agile (scrum, kanban, lean) delivery methodologies.
- Public cloud engineering on AWS (preferred), Azure, or GCP platforms.
We’re Particularly Interested In People Who
- Have worked on a component library or design system before
- Have worked on distributed React apps
- Favor regular, incremental delivery over perfection.
- Strive for continuous learning and improvement for themselves and their teams.
- Are excited about ensuring that all of our systems scale smoothly.
- You’ve played a key role or contributing role on architecting or building a developer platform.