At Starburst, we are working to dismantle the status quo of data silos and vendor lock-in every single day. For decades, database companies have held their customers hostage and we believe that’s just plain wrong. Starburst offers a full-featured data lake analytics platform, built on open source Trino. Our platform includes all the capabilities needed to discover, organize, and consume data without the need for time-consuming and costly migration projects. Today more than 300 leading organizations trust us to make better decisions faster.
Though Starburst has raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded in a rather unusual way as we bootstrapped the business with customers and revenue from the very beginning! We are a remote-first company with employees all over the world and are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
Starburst is looking for an experienced engineering leader to lead teams building Starburst Galaxy. Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of the best-in-class MPP SQL Engine, Trino in an easy to use, fully-managed and enterprise-ready SaaS platform design by Trino’s original creators and experts.
As Engineering Manager, you will partner with Engineering and Product Leadership to deliver and execute on roadmap deliverables. You will recruit and mentor very strong software engineering talent, with years of full stack and distributed systems development experience.
As an Engineering Manager at Starburst you will:
- Lead at least one team of software engineers to build and manage the cloud infrastructure behind our Galaxy Product
- Be a citizen leader responsible for driving technical direction, team process, and outcomes in an agile environment
- Collaborate with engineering, product, and support stakeholders in order to find the best solutions for our business and our customers
- Proactively ensure that teams are executing efficiently by finding and removing technical barriers and dependencies before they are on the critical path
- Contributes to organizational design and planning including the allocation of engineering resources across services and capabilities
- Coach and mentor engineers of all levels, from junior to staff engineers
- Recruit, interview, hire and onboard new engineers
Some of the things we look for:
- Extensive software engineering experience building and operating distributed systems or complex SaaS products. In particular, experience leading teams within the cloud infrastructure organization is desired. Galaxy runs mainly on AWS but we also have components that run on GCP and Azure.
- Previous software engineering management leading highly effective agile teams preferably in a global remote setting
- Prior experience shipping high quality and well architected production code
- Prior experience with people management responsibilities of hiring, retaining, and growing highly effective engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Where could this role be based?
Why build your career at Starburst?
We live by our three core company values: Character, Competence, and Ownership and are a team of top performers. We are each in the driver’s seat, shaping our organization and working together towards our common mission. We are solving exceptionally complex and meaningful challenges here and as we innovate, we each have the opportunity to build our careers alongside Starbursts’s growth.
We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, flexible paid time off, and more!
Starburst Data is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place to work. Everyone is welcome at the Starburst table and we have several employee resource groups such as Womxn At Starburst, Starburst Military, and Starburst Pride. We know that the more diverse perspectives we have at the table will only serve us to make a better team and company.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.