Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn allows you to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy issues, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
Our CEO took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
What You’ll Do
- You will be part of a Toolsmiths team with responsibilities in the areas of information technology (IT), security engineering and operations, and platform engineering.
- You will provide Level 1 support for Thorn employee IT help requests and other human-in-the-loop IT processes (e.g., device renewal and disposal, employee technical on- and off-boarding).
- You will identify places where automation and self-service tools can speed up IT processes and work with the other members of the Toolsmiths team to design and implement solutions (e.g., a better way to manage the IT ticket queue, a way for managers to adjust Okta group membership in a controlled, auditable fashion).
- You’ll drive IT projects with concrete execution and completion criteria (e.g., running routine audits of systems, creating a security report card, building a cross-functional workflow for vendor review requests).
- You’ll create, maintain, and socialize IT documentation (e.g., laptop troubleshooting guides, ”Did you know …” newsletters, brown bag training sessions).
- You will manage the third-party vendor process for new and existing IT services including vendor reviews, single sign-on integrations, audit logging configuration, etc.
- You’ll take on growth opportunities in the areas of security and platform tooling (e.g., performing application scans, extending tools used by software engineers).
- You will assist with completing security questionnaires for prospective customers and partners.
What We’re Looking For
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- You have an interest in managing and administering organization-wide IT systems at a small yet growing tech company.
- You have some experience with the tools we use (see below) or similar systems and want to learn about others.
- You demonstrate empathy and strong advocacy for our users, while balancing their needs with the constraints of technology and organization requirements.
- You enjoy working on ad hoc requests from individuals, client projects for other teams, and strategic initiatives for the organization and are comfortable collaborating with a team to prioritize them.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial.
Technologies We Use
- Docker / Kubernetes
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.