As PayIt continues to expand its presence in the public sector, we are seeking a dynamic Director of Payments Engineering to lead and drive our payment processing systems to new heights of reliability, security, and innovation.
The ideal candidate is based out of Kansas City or Austin, TX, however, highly qualified candidates will also be considered in the following markets (NC, TX, MO, KS, GA, VA, PA, UT, FL, TN, MI, IL, and OH).
What You’ll Be Doing:
As the Director of Payments Engineering, you will be a crucial member of our engineering leadership team and will be responsible for overseeing our Payments Engineering Teams and the development, enhancement, and maintenance of our payment processing infrastructure and related financial systems. Your organizational goals will align with enhancing our payment product offering and ensuring smooth and secure payment transactions for our state and local government clients and their citizens.
This role will play an integral part in empowering our government organizations and agencies to streamline their operations, enhance citizen services, and drive digital transformation and will be responsible for:
Strategic Vision: Collaborative partner with SVP Product, Lead Product Manager, and Product Teams to execute a strategic roadmap for payments engineering, aligning the Payments Teams’ with the company’s broader objectives by establishing clear milestones and performance indicators.
Team Leadership: Develop and manage teams of skilled Payments Engineers including hiring, training, and mentoring team members by fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and professional growth. Set clear goals and performance expectations for team members and provide continuous feedback and mentorship to maximize their potential.
Integration and APIs: Collaborate with other engineering teams to ensure seamless integration of payment functionalities into our SaaS platform and develop APIs and SDKs to facilitate payment processing across various government applications.
Payment Systems Development: Oversee the design, development, and deployment of robust, scalable, and secure payment processing systems that comply with industry standards, government regulations, and best practices.
Risk Management: Collaborative partner in working with Information Security Teams and Engineering Teams to mitigate potential security risks related to payment processing, safeguarding sensitive financial data, and ensuring compliance with PCI DSS and other relevant security and compliance standards.
Industry Trends: Stay up-to-date with the latest developments and trends in payment technologies, financial services, and government payment regulations, incorporating relevant advancements into our payment systems.
Vendor Relationships: Manage relationships with payment gateway providers, financial institutions, and other relevant partners, evaluating their performance and negotiating contracts to optimize services and costs.
Quality Assurance: Implement rigorous testing processes to guarantee the accuracy and reliability of payment processing, including transaction handling, reporting, and reconciliation.
Compliance and Reporting: Work closely with legal and compliance teams to ensure adherence to state and federal financial regulations and oversee the preparation and submission of required reports.
What You’ll Need to Have:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience (5+ years) in a leadership role within payments engineering, leading multiple engineering teams in the SaaS or government technology sector.
- Proven experience leading product development engineering teams that ship products.
- Skills to hire and develop top engineering talent.
- Proven track record of establishing engineering goals, OKR’s, and KPI’s that drive engineering culture and meet business objectives and outcomes.
- In-depth knowledge of payment gateway integrations, payment processing protocols, and financial transaction security.
- Strong understanding of Card Data Processing, PCI DSS, NACHA, and other relevant payment industry standards.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a focus on delivering reliable and scalable solutions.
- Excellent communication and collaboration abilities to work effectively across cross-functional teams.
Bonus Points For:
- Experience working with state and local government agencies or in a highly regulated industry is a plus.