Planet is looking for a Director of Design. This role reports to the Head of Product, and supports design, UX research, and content strategy. Collectively, this leader oversees teams that help identify and prioritize customer problems, as well as leading the creative process that solves them. This role is responsible for guiding and leading teams consisting of both direct reports as well as matrixed employees from across the business.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Be the champion for the customer, from identifying their challenges and opportunities in user research, to designing elegant solutions
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to define a lasting vision for the product and set roadmap priorities
- Drive roadmap execution alongside Engineering and Product leadership by marshaling teams via shared objectives, providing clarity, and unblocking the team where needed.
- Build and support an incredible team of designers, UX researchers, and content strategists,, and provide career growth and development opportunities for the team
What You Bring:
- 8+ years of experience as a design lead of commercial software products
- 3+ years of experience managing multidisciplinary teams of 8 or more
- 8+ year experience managing at a technology company that provides software and information products, with a proven record of excellent leadership
- Experience leading teams that have shipped world changing products in a fast paced environment.
- Proven track record of building out a Design function within a software organization
- Excellent grasp of UX best practices, varied methodologies, and tools that empower the team to realize their best work
- Executive presence and ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
- A growth mindset and a desire to learn quickly
- Proven problem-solving skills
- A passion for Planet’s mission to use space to help life on Earth
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience and fluency with AI productivity tools for design and interest in leaning into new ways of working
- Experience with a B2B and/or B2B2C context with a highly technical product
- Experience building products for developers (API first mentality)
- Experience with cross-continental team coordination and management (e.g., time zone accommodations, cultural differences between locations, etc).
- Experience or familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) concepts and or Remote Sensing.
- Experience with organizational change management
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $165,000 – $271,000.