We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
As the Director, Finance Ops, you will be responsible for overseeing the accounting and operations of the equity, payroll and commissions functions. You will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact as you join a growing team and work closely with cross-functional departments.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada and the US.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in finance operations or related roles, with a focus on equity, payroll and commission management.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills for 4+ direct reports.
- Proven track record of developing and implementing effective equity and commission strategies that align with business objectives.
- Strong understanding of equity compensation plans, stock administration and calculation of stock based compensation under US GAAP.
- Extensive knowledge of sales commission structures, calculations, and best practices, preferably within a high-growth, SaaS organization.
- Strong understanding of SaaS bookings and revenue models.
- Thorough knowledge of payroll regulations, tax laws, and labor legislation.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to interpret complex data, identify trends, and make data-driven decisions.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively across multiple departments and influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Detail-oriented mindset with a commitment to accuracy, compliance, and operational excellence.
- Expertise using Excel to analyze large data sets (i.e. intermediate level for formulas, pivot tables, VLOOKUPs) and experience with other BI tools such as Looker or Tableau.
- Experience using CaptivateIQ (or other commissions software) and Salesforce an asset.
- Experience using an equity platform such as Shareworks.
- Experience using a payroll/HRIS system.
- High level of integrity and ability to handle confidential information.
- University degree or equivalent in business and/or commerce.
- CPA or other relevant qualification is required.
What you can expect:
- Oversee the development, administration, reporting and accounting of equity, payroll and commission processes. This also includes data analysis, reconciliation, and payment calculations.
- Develop and implement comprehensive equity, payroll and commission management strategies aligned with the company’s goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to define and improve equity and commission plans, ensuring they are competitive, compliant, and motivate desired behaviors.
- Manage the equity, payroll and commission team members, providing guidance, performance feedback, and professional development opportunities.
- Collaborating with the HR team to research and advise on compensation issues, disputes and provide analysis to facilitate resolution.
- Perform ad hoc reporting, analysis and projects as required.
- Maintain compliance with US GAAP standards and internal controls. Ensure proper documentation of accounting treatments, supporting schedules, and reconciliations related to equity transactions.
- Manage the administration and maintenance of equity programs, including new equity awards, option exercises, equity transactions, terminations and cancellations.
- Review monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting of our equity incentive program which includes the record keeping of equity activity in Shareworks and the calculation of stock based compensation expense under US GAAP.
- Review the supporting documentation for the equity note disclosures for the quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Preparation of the quarterly reporting to the Board and and investor reporting.
- Review the quarterly 409A valuation refresh and the management of the blackout periods.
- Maintain compliance with US GAAP standards, and ensure proper accounting of payroll transactions and related payroll accounts (vacation, bonus, etc.).
- Oversee and manage all aspects of payroll (North American and Global) processing ensuring accuracy and timeliness of all payments and reconciliations.
- Review and analyze payroll reconciliations, including bonus and vacation accrual reconciliations. Verify the accuracy of payroll-related accounts and identify and resolve any discrepancies.
- Lead the streamlining of payroll operations and improve data integrity. Utilize payroll software and technology to automate processes and increase efficiency.
- Maintain compliance with US GAAP standards and ensure appropriate accounting treatment.
- Partner with other functions such as Rev Ops and HR Ops to establish best practices, and improve processes to increase efficiency and accuracy of the sales commissions process.
- Research and advise on compensation issues, disputes and provide analysis to facilitate resolution.
- Oversee the management of the compensation process including commissions calculation, payment, reporting, inquiries, communications, auditing compensation payments and submitting payout details to payroll.
- Review the monthly, quarterly and annual commissions files, while ensuring accuracy of payments based on sales commission plans in accordance with US GAAP.
United States-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $167,000 USD and $225,000