Benevity is seeking an experienced, passionate and curious Director, Corporate Development to help assess strategic partnerships and acquisitions, support business initiatives and inform management decision-making.
Leveraging your skillset, you’ll help us to identify and deeply understand market opportunities and work cross functionally to create business cases to inform management decision making. Day-to-day, you’ll be working cross functionally to assess potential acquisitions and partnerships, performing market research, developing financial models and providing actionable insights to help to shape and inform our strategic direction. If you are a business-minded, self-starter who thrives in an environment where people are passionate about using their strategic and financial acumen to make a difference in their work – and the world – this role is for you!
Ideally, you would be based out of Benevity’s Calgary, Toronto or Victoria offices.
- Identify and evaluate strategic acquisitions/partnership opportunities and make recommendations that accelerate Benevity’s long-term strategic plan.
- Lead and coordinate the process for M&A throughout all of the relevant phases – such as opportunity assessment, business case development, evaluation of strategic fit, valuation analysis, due diligence, execution and integration – ensuring that all move expediently and in a coordinated manner, that deliverables and clearly defined and all relevant stakeholders are kept adequately informed.
- Build strong relationships with potential partners. Lead deal negotiations and strategic partnership discussions.
- Perform financial analysis of potential investment opportunities, including developing business cases, financial impact assessments, and valuation analyses. Work closely with Finance to coordinate overall analysis on business impacts and to prepare pro-forma financial outputs. Draw conclusions from analysis and make recommendations accordingly.
- Effective management and coordination of cross-functional teams including Engineering, Product, Information Technology, Analytics & Insights, Operations, Commercial functions, People and Finance to understand economic, technological, operational, and qualitative factors that impact investment decisions.
- Lead post-transaction integration efforts.
- Support the development and ongoing updates of our long-term Strategic Plan.
- Monitor medium to long-term business trends/outlooks, gather competitive intelligence to contribute to strategic business planning discussions with leadership. Develop and maintain external network to identify, attract, assess and/or build investment opportunities.
- Perform post transaction assessments to identify areas of growth and key learnings to be applied to future acquisitions.
- Build repeatable and standardized processes and methodologies to enable efficient M&A evaluation cycles.
- Other financial and business analyses to support business objectives as necessary.
What you bring:
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive work experience in corporate development, strategic planning, corporate planning or financial analysis roles. Experienced in working in deal-heavy environments – (e.g. Investment Banking, Management Consulting, Private Equity, or Technology/SaaS businesses that had heavy inorganic growth agendas).
- University Degree in Business, Engineering or other relevant post-secondary education. MBA, CFA, CPA or other financial professional designation would be considered an asset.
- Highly effective in driving results and steering cross-functional teams towards execution. Makes things happen. Able to keep self and others organized.
- Skilled relationship builder and negotiator.
- Creative thinker who thrives in a fast paced and often ambiguous work environment.